Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm thinking about painting the base color as I finish parts of the plane and then coming back in later with the all the detail trim. I would do the base layer and then I'd take it to a shop for the detail. I know it's best to put the detail on soon after the base paint, but is there a reliable strategy to come in later with the details? Is-mask it off, rough up the existing paint? Or is this just a bad idea?

I decided to try to get the best chemical bond on mine, so I done the whole process on each part through to the Clear within the time window the manufacture recommended. It is a lot of work! The actual spraying was definitely the easiest and fastest part. I have a lot of pics on the kitlog below, to give you an idea.

Bird

You right Mark, it is best to put the trim colors on soon after the base, cross linking of the two layers. If this can't be done, it is acceptable to do it later, provided you scuff the base well, (maroon scotch bright), take care to get as close as possible to the tape edges as you can. You do not want to see any gloss or shine next to the tape edge. If the base has fully cured the scuffing will be the only source of adhesion between the two layers, if not done correctly you can have ragged edges when you pull the tape. Check the Mfg. product info. sheet as different products have varied curing times most will list "Tape times" that is the time to dry before you can apply tape without leaving 'tape tracks"
Painting is not rocket science, but it can be very unforgiving if not done properly.
Gook Luck

Mark,
In my experience, the biggest problem I have seen with any sort of "paint as you go approach" is some kind of glitch causing rework at the end of the process. There are so many things that can go wrong, sometimes through no fault of your own, with painting that it's really tough to effectively do it in pieces. Your chosen paint system might not support this approach, anyway.
Finally, is that the fastest way to do it? Unless you have a dedicated paint booth available, by the time you clean up and get ready multiple times, are you not better off to just do it all at once?

Regards,

Brad Simmons
Airframes Inc.
www.AirframesInc.com