oy-rvc

Today was a special day for me, since my RV-8 started to get painted. This is a really big milestone in this project. A few pictures are included.

Here Im doing prep. Sanding the aluminum lightly:

IMG_2034.JPG

Next all openings gets covered, not to get paint the wrong places:

IMG_2042.JPG

Now dustfree, degreased and all ready to get primed in paint booth:

IMG_2045.JPG

A layer of primer by a professional painter:

IMG_2052.JPG

After a few hours top coat is sprayed:

IMG_2068.jpg

All done with white base color, next week is the colors on top:

IMG_2084.jpg

Last edited:
more painting

Control surfaces gets painted with same treatment as rest of the aluminum, sand light, clean, primer and topcoat:

picture_312.jpg

Fiberglass needs lots of preparation to look nice when painted with high gloss paint. Filler then sanding and more sanding again:

picture_308.jpg

picture_309.jpg

Some finished fiberglass parts:

picture_306.jpg

picture_307.jpg

picture_310.jpg

picture_311.jpg

a few more pics

We have started on the overlay colors. Going by my design it will be kept fairly simple. Here the painter is doing some masking on the vertical stab:

HPIM2910.JPG

Here we are done with most of it:

HPIM2914.JPG

Here Im removing elevator and rudder after masking -carefull not to scratch the new paint. Its far best to have parts fitted to the plane otherwise it might not line up when assembled after paint:

HPIM2917.JPG

Then covering so not to get paint on other parts. One color at a time:

HPIM2918.JPG

By the way here is my design. I came to this design basicly by getting ideas from other RVs - then played abit with the computer:

design9.gif

It's very exciting to see the paint going on. Congratulations! It looks like you are doing a great job.

Guy

more pictures

Cowl gets painted with red. Before the white base get sanded for the paint to stick:

pic_1.jpg

Fuselage also get a red lay of paint. It really surprises with the large amout of paint that is needed for a small plane like this - and also the price of red paint vesus white paint. More than double in price:

pic_2.jpg

Elevators get the final touch of red paint:

pic_3.jpg

Callsign and black color:

pic_4.jpg

Fuselage finished:

pic_5.jpg

Wings get painted, now getting close to the finish. Looking forward to move all parts to the airport:

pic_6.jpg

Beautiful!

I bet it's a thrill to see the transformation!

-- Chris

P.S. I am now officially lusting after that spray booth! :D

after paint

I thought I would update with a picture of the things comming together. It is easy progress after paint as everything has allready been tried and fitted on. It is a very satisfying process. For those who are building but not at this point yet, you can look very much forward to this part of the project.

picture_313.jpg

Very Nice!! I too was amazed at the price of red paint for my project. My paint scheme used alot more red than yours and I was Shocked!!

Ted

paint

That looks very nice, that is also a nice down draft booth.... the shop is nice and clean too.....everybody pay close attention to that.... a clean shop and booth.... remember when painting your project first clean, clean, clean, and clean again.... the dirt in your paint job is from not cleaning enough..... I know that the red is expensive. I just paid $97.00 for a Pint of GM corvette Torch Red....

Congrats on the nice paint....I hope it flies as good as it looks.....enjoy

Rich Denton

Thanks for the nice comments. Yes I expect I can tour the skys of europe next summer:D:D Paperwork and 50 hour test flight scheme hopefully done before that.

Looks great Christian. Very elegant paint job. My wife is from Copenhagen and will get a kick out of this. She'll be very glad to see a fellow Dane building such a beautiful airplane!