herschel

I'm New Here
I am building an RV-9A and I would like to start painting the individual pieces. I have alodined(dipped) and zinc chromated(Tempo rattle can) all of my components. I wanted to use ACRYGLO paint from Sherwin Williams. I called a paint dealer in Florida to order my paint. I explained to him how I had prepared my components and he said they did not recommend putting their primer over zinc chromate. The primer he recommended was a urethane primer. He said he would have a company representative call me to discuss the issue. In a couple of days a rep did call and said basically I need to sand most of the zinc chromate off.
I then talked to a Dupont dealer and he said he thought their epoxy primer with a top coat of Imron would work but suggested I do a test panel before painting the entire plane. Has anyone been down this road? I would like to fine someone who has prepared their plane similar to what I did and what paint they used successfully?
Herschel

Herschel, welcome to =VAF= and the florida wing. ;)
any paint designs you can share with us?

I am building an RV-9A and I would like to start painting the individual pieces. I have alodined(dipped) and zinc chromated(Tempo rattle can) all of my components. I wanted to use ACRYGLO paint from Sherwin Williams. I called a paint dealer in Florida to order my paint. I explained to him how I had prepared my components and he said they did not recommend putting their primer over zinc chromate. The primer he recommended was a urethane primer. He said he would have a company representative call me to discuss the issue. In a couple of days a rep did call and said basically I need to sand most of the zinc chromate off.
I then talked to a Dupont dealer and he said he thought their epoxy primer with a top coat of Imron would work but suggested I do a test panel before painting the entire plane. Has anyone been down this road? I would like to fine someone who has prepared their plane similar to what I did and what paint they used successfully?
Herschel

I am NOT a paint expert. I consider myself an experienced amateur. Over the years I have learned to be very careful mixing brands or different types of paint. It is best to use a single system. On the Doll, I alodined the bare aluminum and then sprayed a light coat of PPG DP-50 epoxy primer. The DP primer has very good grip to the surface metal. (Note: DP 50 is white, DP 90 is black, there is a light green as well)

I followed that with a light coat of PPG K-36 surfacing primer, most of which was blocked sanded off with 400 wet or dry to get a really slick surface for the top coat. Then two coats of single stage white or black, or three coats of Base coat ultra fine silver metallic or Ferrari red, followed with two coats of clear. The cowl and the wing tips had to be clear coated due to the checkerboard scheme.

The Doll's paint job is thirteen years old this month, and has seen an average of over one hundred flight hours each year. There has been some pealing of the clear at rock chips, or fastening screws. If she was painted with single stage paint like solid white, red, blue etc, there would be very little paint damage due to rain penetration.

Be careful putting quality top coat paint over spray can anything!

Last edited:
Paint scheme for RV-9A

I plan to use the paint scheme shown on the wall paper for April 2013.
May use all paint or some paint and vinyl.
Herschel