mtown52

I'm New Here
OK-which is best for inside painting? Gloss or semigloss? No doubt that will cause trouble. Mike In Tasmania...

Mike,

Use either satin or semi-gloss. I used satin. You probably don't want reflective surfaces inside the aircraft.

Best Wishes,

Dave B.
RV9a/ECi0360/James cowl/Catto prop--110 hrs and a permanent smile!!!

Have a gloss finish on mine. Thought it would be a big deal but it really isnt because once you get everything in there, a lot of the interior is hidden by either seat cushions or people in those seats. Mine interior is the same color as Van's powder coat.

I would do gloss again. You want a finish that is hard and easily cleanable and resistant to most solvents.

Last edited:
how about flat?

I used gloss automotive paint (Acrylyd) for my interior and it was the worst month of the entire build process. As a first time painter, getting it to lay down flat and smooth with no runs, drips, errors, dust, etc. was way more difficult than I thought it was going to be.

If I ever do it again, I'll seriously consider something flat or maybe satin. Shooting primer was a breeze. Shooting this stuff was like painting with milk.

Make sure you spend a little time with someone who can show you several types of paints, how to apply them, and what the result is going to look like.

-Clay

What about powder coating the interior surfaces? Aside from the obvious cost issue, how much weight does powder coating add?

I don't think it would be the weight, but rather the logistics of baking the powder coated parts for 20 minutes at 350* ... that would be one big oven, or an expensive IR light. -Jim

Not to mention the heat treatment of the metal!

Jekyll

fehdxl said:
I don't think it would be the weight, but rather the logistics of baking the powder coated parts for 20 minutes at 350* ... that would be one big oven, or an expensive IR light. -Jim

Mike,

I used automotive gloss paint with the same brand ?flattening additive? for the instrument panel and interior and I am very pleased with the result. :)

Fin 9A
NSW Australia

Heat

Somewhere I saw an informed answer to the powder coating heat issue and it was not a factor. Van's powder coats the engine mount (not very well in some cases because they rust) but still he is subjecting them to the powder coat heating process. I doubt that he would if it were to induce significantly earlier failure from some heat related change. Chrome is a different situation and I believe it does cause a potential problem.
As for the interior paint........I have a light color and it is a problem with reflection on the canopy when the sun is behind the plane. :( So if I had it to do over (and I just might because it is really a nuisance) I would go with a darker color or even a flat black. Mine is glossy. Maybe a flat would have been less annoying. :)

I just did my 8 last week, used Dupont Imron satin. I am pretty happy with the results.

picture011pp5.jpg

acrylic enamel

I had my local auto paint supply store mix up 2 qts of Nason acrylic enamel with a flattener added. I sprayed it over Nason self-etching primer. The stuff dries tuff as nails and seems to hold up well during the build process. Follow the instructions about mix ratios, spray timing, and # of coats.

Steve

Combination method

We had all parts that could be removed powdercoated in a lightly structured dark grey. The other visible parts, including the inside of the canopy were spray painted, using a dark grey two component paint. For extra protection we applied a semi-matte transparant top coating to that.
see: http://websites.expercraft.com/PHVII/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=8372 and http://websites.expercraft.com/PHVII/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=15118
By the way: most of the work goes in preparing the surfaces and masking the no-paint areas!