mike109g6

Well Known Member
Question:

Can you paint over Lacquer primer with DTM(Direct to Metal) Epoxy primer that is reduced with Urethane Reducer? Reason I ask is that the surround on the windshield has Lacquer primer on it(the fiberglass surround) and am going to use the DTM on the rest of the fuse bare metal. The DTM is NOT self-etching epoxy primer.

Thanks in advance,
Mike H 9A/8A

Follow manufacturer's instructions. Very important. As a rule you do not mix types of reducers such as urethane with epoxy paint. Also epoxy tends to cover and stick to almost anything. But again, in order to answer your question you need to be product specific and brand specific and the best information will come from the manufacturer.

Ken

Epoxy primers can be used over most other paints including laquer as a sealer. Do not reduce over 10% with urethane reducer. However laquer primers can not be used over most other types of paint such as enamel. urethane, poly urethane as lifting will result.

Lacquer Primer

Epoxy primers can be used over most other paints including laquer as a sealer. Do not reduce over 10% with urethane reducer. However laquer primers can not be used over most other types of paint such as enamel. urethane, poly urethane as lifting will result.
That's what I thought as well but thanks for the confirmation. My thoughts were if I don't use the urethane reducer I would be ok to spray over the lacquer primed areas. I have a primer tip on my DeVilbiss HVLP gun so I should not need to reduce the epoxy primer for correct flow. In fact the epoxy primer directions state if using solely as a 1) primer = parts A & B; 2) for use as a sealer = parts A & B + reducer.
Thanks,
Mike H 9A/8A