Ausflyer

Well Known Member
I remember some months ago a recommendation from Larry to paint the exposed surface of the cowl cooling duct black. I'm up to that (I think), and would like to hear what other builders decided to do, or wish they had done.

And can ayone advise me:
Do you paint it just before you glue it to the lower cowl?
Do you have to sand , fill the pin holes and prime before colour?
What looks best- gloss, satin or matt finish?
Would a rattle can of acrylic do the job?

I would appreciate your comments
Rod

Cooling Duct

The Duct has a rough finish so dont worry about filling Pin Holes. Rough it up with some 80 grid sand paper then shoot it with the primer of your choice then a top coat of your choice then let dry then glue on with High temp Silicone.

John
RV12 N1212K

I remember some months ago a recommendation from Larry to paint the exposed surface of the cowl cooling duct black. I'm up to that (I think), and would like to hear what other builders decided to do, or wish they had done.

And can ayone advise me:
Do you paint it just before you glue it to the lower cowl?
Do you have to sand , fill the pin holes and prime before colour?
What looks best- gloss, satin or matt finish?
Would a rattle can of acrylic do the job?

I would appreciate your comments
Rod

Can't say for certain , but I think Larry was talking about the duct that gets installed on the top of the engine...not the duct that gets bonded to the inside of the cowl.

Can't say for certain , but I think Larry was talking about the duct that gets installed on the top of the engine...not the duct that gets bonded to the inside of the cowl.

Yes, The engine cylinder cooling duct. IMHO, it would look much better painted flat black. Use a high temp rattle can paint.

Last edited:
Paint

I painted mine with high temp "aluminium" from a rattle can. As was noted previously, the red high temp selant doen't look too pretty...

Cheers...Keith

Cooling Duct Paint

Same as Keith. After sanding some of the rough spots and applying a primer, I applied "SP117 Flat Aluminum" rattle can paint called VHT "very high temperature" FLame Proof header paint from VHT Products Company, www.vhtpaint.com. Purchased from O'Reilly Auto parts for about nine bucks. Looks good.

Last edited:
Now that's what I'm talking about. Looks good Tony. Much better than raw fiberglass.

I suggested flat black as the edges will (over time) turn dark due to heat, but the high temp red should hold up just fine.

Which duct?

Thanks Scott for getting that sorted for me. Now I have the radiator cooling duct installed, I see that black does not make much sense, Best not to make a feature of it , even though I quite like the simplicity of the oval shape. I guess I will just paint as much of it as I can through the opening.

Rod

Thanks Scott for getting that sorted for me. Now I have the radiator cooling duct installed, I see that black does not make much sense, Best not to make a feature of it , even though I quite like the simplicity of the oval shape. I guess I will just paint as much of it as I can through the opening.

Rod

The purpose of recommending black is that the edges of the fiberglass engine cooling shroud turn black over time due to heat. You can use black high temp RTV and it will look fine. The RTV also comes in metal gray and really matches the color of the cylinder fins.