Hello Gaggle:

I'm totally new to this and request help.
I'm stripping and repainting the plane. So here are some of my questions:
1 - I was told about a stripper that sprays on and then drys with the removed paint. I think the name was KOLAR. It is suppose to be very aggressive on paints and not attack plastics. But I can't find any info on it. Anyone know of such an item?

2 - I wish to do a Scratch & Paint (sand & paint) because the original paint is OLD SCHOOL chemistry and is bonded very - very well. What PRIMER do you recommend?

3 - Keeping with Primers - This confuses me. Why do they call some primers Acid Etch Primers, when ACID is NOT used on aluminum... It should be a strong Alkaline for cleaning the aluminum?

4 - Chem Film (some know it as Irridate or Alodine) - Why would you use it IF you are going to paint on the Primer - - - Acid Etch Primer immediately after stripping/ sanding?

5 - Doesn't the Acid Etch primer remove the Chem Film?

6 - What Paint? I know, I know... this is a personal preference item but it should be compatible with the primer.

Thank you for the help,
Barry

Repaint

Hi Barry

I can't help you with the specifics of American products but I can give you several pointers.

This is a very very big job you are about to undertake. I have been painting my RV 4 for some time now, and have previously painted several other aircraft.
For example with scratch and paint dont underestimate how long the rubbing down process takes. I was not happy with the fin after the first paint, so rubbed it back to the etch primer which took about 7 hours.

Part of the reason for this is that you cant afford to use to aggressive grit as you dont want to scratch the skins with more than 400 grit.

I used a two pack acid etch primer.........as the name suggests the acid etches into the metal for a good bond. Then a two pack acrylic primer, followed by acrylic top coat. No laquer!

DuPont Colar is (was?) a 2 part epoxy primer that was used on some certified aircraft.

I don't think it is still made...

Perhaps this is the "Kolar" you were thinking of?

This may bum you, but I've seen a couple "dry" strippers. I've yet to see one fully strip a plane. The only strippers I've seen work for sure, especially on polyurethanes, are heavy on the Methyl Chloride. I still have a 25 year old row of stripper burns on my arm (look like cigarette scars) from stripping Navions in the sun. Nitrile gloves seem to hold up best. Keep a bucket of water handy to shove your hands in as soon as you feel the "tingle". ALWAYS wear safety goggles or similar. I don't recommend overpainting. If the old paint job is thin, not so bad. If you don't strip, you'll wind up probably 20lbs heavy. There will certainly be transition areas etc. that get layered pretty thick to blend. A good stripper will destroy your fiberglass and plexiglass. You have to sand your fiberglass. Foil tape is the best protector for plexi and fiberglass. Even then you have to be careful with the plexi and don't let even the fumes hover around your plexi. Remove as much plastic as you can before stripping and consider finger sanding edges like canopy skirts. I still like Alodine. It helps block corrosion in cracks and crevices and gives great adhesion for primer. I won't recommend a paint type other than to say I personally don't like waterborne stuff because I just can't shoot it good. That's probably just me. Anyway I kinda like the smell of MEK mixed with toluene mixed with every other toxic solvent under the sun. My wife can walk into a hangar I've been in all day and instantly get a slamming headache while I'm happy as a clam. Of course I can't smell dinner afterwards (maybe that's why I weigh 140).
P.S. Keep lots of water handy, scotchbrite pads (don't use steel wool), and some small stainless brushes for seams. Also, DO NOT GET STRIPPER ON YOUR MOUSTACHE.

PAINTING & STRIPPING #2

Thanks Guys for the responses.
I have been doing some research and here is what I came up with:
AND - I would appreciated your comments-
1 - STRIPPER - STRIPPER
http://www.m-tc.com/efs2500_information.htm
EFS2500
USE SPRAY GUN TO APPLY

2 - Use a separate Acid Etch instead of an Acid etch primer

3 - Use a High Build Primer of a different color than the top coat.

4 - DUPONT PRIMER - DZ KONDAR with REDUCER

5 - TOP COAT - PPG CONCEPT AUTOMOTIVE PAINTS - DP402

6 - I would like to do some Vinyl detail strips - DO YOU HAVE ANY PLACES TO GET THEM?

Thanks Guys,

Barry