ccsmith51

Well Known Member
The interior of my RV-6 is painted with either Jet Glo or Acry Glo primer gray. I need to do some touch up.

I can't find anywhere to purchase spray cans of that paint. So, two questions:

1) Does anyone know where I can get a rattle can or two of either the Jet Glo or Acry Glo primer gray paint?

2) Does anyone know of a rattle can alternative from, say, an auto parts store? I tried Advanced and O'Reily but neither had anything close....

Thanks,

If Jet Glow is a two part urithaine type paint , it can't be mixed and put in a "Rattle can" , put on a store shelf to be sold at a latter time , because it would a harden in the can in a few hours . ;)

As HIIFLY said Jet Glow/Acry Glow is a two part urethane paint. If you want rattle can your best bet is going to be Duplicolor and Rustoleum available in most auto parts stores. A great alternative is also Sherwin Williams 988. It is a self etching gray primer and works very well, but it needs to be top coated with another SW rattle can primer/sealer or paint. This can be purchased at a Sherwin Williams automotive finishes store. Other automotive finishes dealers such as Dupont, PPG, and SEM will have similar products.

I haven't had much luck with the "aviation" rattle can primers and paints such as TEMPO. Aircraft Spruce does carry SEM.

Good luck!

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

If Jet Glow is a two part urithaine type paint , it can't be mixed and put in a "Rattle can" , put on a store shelf to be sold at a latter time , because it would a harden in the can in a few hours . ;)

Last edited:
Another option is to obtain the color code and paint type from the original owner and go to Harbor Freight and buy a small touch up sprayer. Unfortunately, Jet Glo is not a cheap paint, nor is the Acry-glo, and I believe a quart is the smallest size available. You can obtain it from Blend Supply 817 529 7710.

You can buy 2K Urethane paint in a spray can, but they probably won't have your color. There are a few companies out there that sell a two-chamber rattle can. The seal is broken and the components mix. I used a matte clear of theirs and was very happy with the result. Of course you have to use the paint within the 24hr pot life.

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/2k-aero-spray-paints.html

Back when I was looking at paint, I found a company that does custom colors in the 2K can. Unfortunately I don't remember the company.

You may want to take a piece down to your local automotive paint supplier, many do color matches like Lowes does with house paint. They can also put it in a spray can for you (won't be 2K urethane though).

Rustoleum grey primer

I painted my interior with Jetflex water based sei-gloss/flat grey made for Boeing cockpits. I have used the Rustoleum gray primer for some add on interior panels that are nearly a perfect match, and its pretty durable.

Bill, I have found a number of Rustoleum gray primers. There are different colors, finishes, etc. None of the caps are that close to the color that I have, but the caps are probably not a good indication of the actual color and finish.

Would you happen to have the part number from the paint can that I could reference?

Thanks,

The interior of my RV-6 is painted with either Jet Glo or Acry Glo primer gray. I need to do some touch up.

I can't find anywhere to purchase spray cans of that paint. So, two questions:

1) Does anyone know where I can get a rattle can or two of either the Jet Glo or Acry Glo primer gray paint?

2) Does anyone know of a rattle can alternative from, say, an auto parts store? I tried Advanced and O'Reily but neither had anything close....

Thanks,

Chris
As others have mentioned, finding a spray can equivelent to your AcroGlow primer will be difficult or impossible. First a question. What are you trying to accomplish here? Do you need to repair damage to a panel already painted with the AcryGlo? Or are you painting an "add on" or replacement panel? For a replacement or add on item, just use the rattle can stuff. To repair an already painted panel, you will get the best results and the longest lasting finish using the AcryGlo paints.
There is a solution using "in the can" professional quality paints here. It's called a Preval sprayer. These are sold at most automotive paint vendors. This little tool allows you to use the correct [AcryGlo] paint [out of a can] and spray it on without all the hassles of a professional spray gun. The Preval is aerosol powered. You can find out more about it below. See

http://store.preval.com/p/the-preval-spray-system

This is how the "pros" do small touch up jobs. Mention Rustoleum to a professional painter and as soon as he can pick himself up off the floor [from laughing so hard] he'll mention the Preval system.

Charlie
PS You may have to reduce the paint a bit more using the Preval sprayer, as it doesn't have 40 psi to move the paint.

Thanks all for the help.

I have two situations. One is that I made a new floor planel to cover the center of the floor between the seats. It is about 9" W x 26" long. It is pretty dark down there so a close color would be fine.

The other is that I want to touch up areas of the seat backs, interior panels, baggage floor, etc. Those areas are very visible and I would like to match as closely as possible.

I went to the local auto paint store. He used his matching gizmo and came up with a match that was 8, saying that 10 or below was considered acceptable. For a pint of urethane, the reducer, hardner, and the Preval sprayer, the price was a touch over $70.

If I have to go that route I will, I was just trying to see if there is a more cost acceptable alternative....