avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Hi all-

Well, it's getting time to think about getting the a/c painted. Would really appreciate recommendations for a shop in TN,KY,MO, AR, AL. I am in NW TN so the closer the better. Thanks.

Peter K
9A-75 hrs

If you want to travel a bit further afield (but still definitely in the Southeast), I can recommend Aircraft Painting in Salisbury, NC. They've done lots of RVs over the years, and I know and trust the owner.

Legends Aircraft Refurbishing, Inc. at Aiken, SC does good work.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]803-648-9571 [/FONT]

Bobby Potts (Tuscaloosa Interiors, Tuscaloosa, AL) painted mine, including all of the pinhole filling. He's a good guy. His number is 205-333-3116.

IMG_4404-1.JPG

He pretty much exclusively paints RVs. He also painted Randy Pflanzer's Rocket....which is absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited:
Thanks Jamie!

Ditto on the recommendation for Bobby Potts in Tuscaloosa, AL.

BTW, there were several spam cans at our airport painted in Mena, AR, and they were less than stellar a couple of years later. Paint was flaking and they looked good from afar but far from good. They were less expensive though so it's a case of getting what you pay for.

Last edited:
If you want to travel a bit further afield (but still definitely in the Southeast), I can recommend Aircraft Painting in Salisbury, NC. They've done lots of RVs over the years, and I know and trust the owner.

I've seen these guys bugger up a really nice RV. It is unlikely any of the local RV's will ever be painted by these guys again.

But there may be another SC option ....

We have 2 RVs in the area here to show why you should stay away from Aiken, SC...

I was told today that the prior owner is no longer there.

I also will be in discussions with someone who **MIGHT** be about to do some RV's and definitely has the "skills".

So if interested in SC, for now contact me "offlist".

James

Southeast Paint Shop

I also want to put in my recommendation for Bobby Potts in Tuscaloosa. I have a piant job similar to Jamie Painter and I can't say enough good about Bobby's work. He has a boat building background and as a result is great at working with fiberglass. He got the work done ahead of schedule and at the right price. I even had to have some touchup work done after a fuel leak stained my wheelpants and he did the work gratis.

I was told today that the prior owner is no longer there.

I also will be in discussions with someone who **MIGHT** be about to do some RV's and definitely has the "skills".

So if interested in SC, for now contact me "offlist".

James

James,

Let us know. I can think of three RV's at Goose Creek (OK, mine is back in my basement) that need painting.

I've seen these guys bugger up a really nice RV. It is unlikely any of the local RV's will ever be painted by these guys again.

Bill,

Care to elaborate on that? How long ago? Perhaps you're not aware that they are under brand new management as of three months ago. It would be a shame to pass along inaccurate information. Thanks.

Bill,

Care to elaborate on that? How long ago? Perhaps you're not aware that they are under brand new management as of three months ago. It would be a shame to pass along inaccurate information. Thanks.

Buck,

That was two + years ago. They didn't even bother protecting the canopy when they painted his plane and thought they did him a favor by cleaning the overspray off it. I would say they did a 10 to 20 foot paint job. There were a number of runs and pin holes they didn't bother fixing.

You bring up a good point. The turnover at these paint shops is tremendous. If you find a shop you like, find out who the guy behind the gun was and make sure he is still there when you drop off your plane.

I wish your friend good luck.