wirejock

Well Known Member
I've done a search. It looks like most use the Model Airplane Color Design. I've tried it and it just doesn't offer the tools I need to get the design and color I want. Maybe the full version is better.

Does anyone have a view of the RV7a in Photoshop? Preferably something with each view on a separate file in a very large size with a high ppi.

My next stop is to have a friend generate a jpg from the CAD dwg.

I have a suggestion. I don't think I can make it to Oshkosh this year.If someone could build a website of pictures of oshkosh RV paint schemes and antenna locations that would be GREAT for DOUGs Website here! Antennas, I have seen at least six,counting the wing TOO!

Just thinking out loud!

My wife and I will be at Oshkosh this year, our first trip ever. We'll only be there three days, but I plan to scope out EVERY RV I can find. You can bet your sweet bippy I'll be taking pics of paint schemes, antenna locations and other details every chance I get, from the same angles as much as possible.

I can't make promises, but I'll post whatever I get to my own web server when I get home, and will be happy to share.

Dale Thanks, I think that should be permanent site at Vansairforce forum website. Idea, maybe to pick locations of antennas that you seem to find that a consistent in locations. Like comm antennas right of centerline behind rear baggage bulkhead, top of fuselage, (So many votes based on your observations of locations) or ADBS under right seat or forward by fuel vent or by gear weldment. ELT antennas. I think it could a site where pilot/builders could vote for their favorite locations. Fantastic DALE!!

Look forward to seeing this segment of building since there are so many models of aircraft out there. You know RV RV RV RV RV RV RV RV RV RV RV RV! RV RV RV

RON IN OREGON RV9A

Well, I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I had hoped, but Airventure was a lot larger than I imagined. We never did make it over to HBC to see all the parked RVs there. We did see enough to help us make several decisions regarding paint, interior, antenna location, etc. I guess we'll have to go back, though! Poor me. :)

About 9 out of 10 antennas are on the belly. Occasionally we'd see an ELT on the fuselage top, and I think there was only one with GPS antennas on top, behind the canopy. I assume most are under the cowl. I tried getting interior pics, but with canopies closed and no owners around (and I'm NOT going to step up on the wing!!) it's very difficult to get any meaningful sort of picture if you're under 6'6" or so.

Pics here if you're interested.

Fabulous paint jobs at Oshkosh

Thanks Dale for the info on the antennas. Think all can benefit from your posts. Gets a builder going! Well done my friend! Pictures are beautiful!!

Look forward to more pictures of Oshkosh GEMS!!

Ron in Oregon
RV9A

Wink Fabulous paint jobs at Oshkosh
Thanks Dale for the info on the antennas. Think all can benefit from your posts. Gets a builder going! Well done my friend! Pictures are beautiful!!

Look forward to more pictures of Oshkosh GEMS!!

Ron in Oregon
RV9A
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Digital Illustrator

As an FYI, I got frustrated with the products on the market for scheme design and contacted Matthew Sample. In a few minutes, he sent me a file. Exactly what I had in my head. He is very talented. I had the good fortune of talking with him at Oshkosh. He will be working on the final vector drawings for my Lucy. Pretty excited.

I was wondering how I was ever going to design something nice... but it turns out, wonder of wonders, that my dear wife thinks a warbird inspired paint scheme looks great. I do too, but never thought she's like it.

Score!!

Antenna Locations. 3 installed,comm,trspdr,ADSB

Heres my update on locations for the antennas. I was in contact with a half dozen or so shops. What I learned is reciting one statement I use to myself. How did you DO that and WHY did you DO that that way. None of the shop owners would commit to HOW the antenna was mounted by WHY! Found my answer in my own thoughts. So my WHY thoughts were based on the reading material from the manufacturer of the antenna and Bob Nuckles book Aero Electric. ( buy on Amazon.com). As one owner said you need to understand the integrity of your location,that is thickness of the metal,interference from exhaust, is there flaps,gear,top of plane, does the surface block signals you are seeking? With that all said, I sat down and considered like a engineer the foundation of this project. Two of my 3 locations required doubler plates because I could push in of the bottom skin and make significant movement. What I did not want was oscillation that went into convergence. Example as I remembered in a demo where a stop sign on a post in high wind oscillation back and fourth until the failure would happened at the base of the post or at the mounting point on the sign to the post. I went with my comm antenna 5 inches right of the center line of the bottom and just behind 4" behind the rear baggage bulkhead. If I did it again I would put it in UNDER the baggage floor. ( for you new builders I would recommend putting nutplates in to hold the floor down and NOT rivets as the plans call for) Drilled out ALL the rivets in the baggage floor panel to make antenna (RG400 ) cable run to the front by installing plastic pass thru bushings. Installing these bushing when the floor is not riveted down is always a GOOD option. I would recommend that! My doubler plates were Alodined as well as the surface I riveted to.

My ADS-B location on the RV9A is forward of the spar and under the gear weldment.About 7" in from the side of the fuselage. The transponder antenna I put aft of the firewall 4" on the left side and 3" from the left side of the fuselage. Are all the locations perfect? not sure but they are secure. My comm antenna length from my paper work ( not sure if I read it in 43.13 book) recommended to not go over 10.5 feet for best coverage. I don't know and if any longer distance makes a noticeable difference.

Recently I listened on my Portable ( I-Com A-6 ) as my friend called tower for landing instructions from 40 miles from me. Mine is where his is and I called it good. Made sure connections at the doubler plates and antenna mounting screws would make the surface a good ground plane.

The other pain was making brackets to hold my cables and it was a feat at 8-10" at a time til I got to the radio. I like my installation,would I work at a avionics shop? The short of the answer would be NO, the shop would only turn a profit the first month or until the my first customer received his bill!. At which time I think I might be looking for a new employment! You just got to love building. WOOT WOOT! Thats my story and if you engineers ( RV Builders) out there can clarify or correct some of my story so be it as I would be enlightened.

Always appreciate VAF members conversations!

Ron in Oregon

Last edited:
Antenna Locations. 3 installed,comm,trspdr,ADSB
Heres my update on locations for the antennas. I was in contact with a half dozen or so shops. What I learned is reciting one statement I use to myself. How did you DO that and WHY did you DO that that way. None of the shop owners would commit to HOW the antenna was mounted by WHY! Found my answer in my own thoughts. So my WHY thoughts were based on the reading material from the manufacturer of the antenna and Bob Nuckles book Aero Electric. ( buy on Amazon.com). As one owner said you need to understand the integrity of your location,that is thickness of the metal,interference from exhaust, is there flaps,gear,top of plane, does the surface block signals you are seeking? With that all said, I sat down and considered like a engineer the foundation of this project. Two of my 3 locations required doubler plates because I could push in of the bottom skin and make significant movement. What I did not want was oscillation that went into convergence. Example as I remembered in a demo where a stop sign on a post in high wind oscillation back and fourth until the failure would happened at the base of the post or at the mounting point on the sign to the post. I went with my comm antenna 5 inches right of the center line of the bottom and just behind 4" behind the rear baggage bulkhead. If I did it again I would put it in UNDER the baggage floor. ( for you new builders I would recommend putting nutplates in to hold the floor down and NOT rivets as the plans call for) Drilled out ALL the rivets in the baggage floor panel to make antenna (RG400 ) cable run to the front by installing plastic pass thru bushings. Installing these bushing when the floor is not riveted down is always a GOOD option. I would recommend that! My doubler plates were Alodined as well as the surface I riveted to.

My ADS-B location on the RV9A is forward of the spar and under the gear weldment.About 7" in from the side of the fuselage. The transponder antenna I put aft of the firewall 4" on the left side and 3" from the left side of the fuselage. Are all the locations perfect? not sure but they are secure. My comm antenna length from my paper work ( not sure if I read it in 43.13 book) recommended to not go over 10.5 feet for best coverage. I don't know and if any longer distance makes a noticeable difference.

Recently I listened on my Portable ( I-Com A-6 ) as my friend called tower for landing instructions from 40 miles from me. Mine is where his is and I called it good. Made sure connections at the doubler plates and antenna mounting screws would make the surface a good ground plane.

The other pain was making brackets to hold my cables and it was a feat at 8-10" at a time til I got to the radio. I like my installation,would I work at a avionics shop? The short of the answer would be NO, the shop would only turn a profit the first month or until the my first customer received his bill!. At which time I think I might be looking for a new employment! You just got to love building. WOOT WOOT! Thats my story and if you engineers ( RV Builders) out there can clarify or correct some of my story so be it as I would be enlightened.

Always appreciate VAF members conversations!

Ron in Oregon

Last edited: