Xkuzme1

Well Known Member
Is anyone aware of a program that you can try out different paint schemes before you commit? I've got a paint job that I love, but I'm not sure how to blend it with the RV-4 cheeks.

Thanks,

T

On the MAC I use Pixelmator a cheaper alternative to Photoshop it's like $30. You could also look at Gimpshop which is a free image editor for Mac and PC.

They all take a bit of learning to use, but you can load in the 3-view drawing of your plane and color away.

Pictures,and colored penciles

I have an RV-4 that I built, and had several different paint "ideas", and about the time I was ready to commit, I came across 4 gallons of pure white PPG Desothane being "discarded" from my day job...so ,since I was doing the paint myself,"free" was a beautiful start. After my all white RV-4 was flying, I grabbed some 1/8" green masking tape, and layed out several different paint schemes , took pictures from different angles,and printed full sheet copies..then grabbed colored pencils and colorized my black and white copies. This gave a very real and accurate idea of what things would look exactly like. That was 5 years ago, and I stuck with all white and named my plane "Casper". But I still have those, maybe someday, schemes if I ever want to try them. The -4 has unique lines, that can really look good with the cowl cheeks when designed correctly.

Hey fixn, I also have an all white RV-4. I do like the all white. Nearly every one of my favorite vehicles I've ever had has been all white. I have had people call my bird Casper as well. That's funny!

Thanks for he replies guys! When/if I make a decision, I'll post some pics.

This program was designed for testing paint schemes on model aircraft, but works quite well on full-size aircraft as well. There is a demo version you can download and play with, and there are versions specifically for the RV's.

http://www.airplanecolor.com/

I've played with the software in the past but haven't got any connection to the company. It just looked like neat software.