KiloWhiskey1

Well Known Member
I am planning on using a military scheme on my RV-7 and wanted to find out what the large letters stood for on the tail section of many WWII airplanes. Any replies would be much appreciated.

Keith
corsair68jf6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just a guess, but I think the HP was for Howard Pardue? I don't think the Marines had any Corsairs in their Helicopter Antisubmarine Light squadron. But maybe so!!

My Dad flew Corsairs off the Intrepid during WWII, and their tail identification was a vertical white stripe on the VS and a single white stripe on the bottom of the wing. Planes from different carriers had their own identification markings which identified them as being from a specific carrier. I don't think that they used initials. However, I am no historian and don't even profess to be one.

Last edited:
The meanings of the various military aircraft lettering and number schemes vary from service to service, era to era, and from country to country (even according to mission type in many cases). Best to pick one from a old picture or book (whatever) that you like and then ask what those markings specifically, mean. Someone will know, too many variations otherwise.

Include a picture and someone will be able to tell you all about it in no time at all.

Regards,

Lee...

Army Heritage Education Center

Many aviation-related records from WWII are held by the Army Heritage Education Center and Military History Institute at Carlisle Barracks, PA.

This center is an excellent resource for anyone trying to research WWII (and earlier) histories, photos, etc. for many fighter, bomber, and transport units since the USAF wasn't formed until after the war.

Search engines available at http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.htm can help you pull up bibliographies for specific types of units, aircraft, etc.

Contact links are also available on the website for research assistance.

Obviously, Navy and USMC archives are held by their respective museums/history centers. The new USMC museum at Quantico, VA is a superb resource.

There are also a number of 'coffee table' books published on specific aircraft that you can probably get on an inter-library loan. These may help you frame a question for the archivists at Carlisle or other history centers if you need assistance.

Good hunting!

Markings

In the second world war, many of the markings varied by squadron and fighter group. For instance, the size of the cowl markings and tail markings would tell you which group and squadron you were seeing.

Quick Search

Just did a quick search of the Army link (above) using "Aircraft Markings."

Pulled up a bibliography of 30 books for various countries.

Looks like your best bet for US Army Air Force markings from WWII is a book by:

Freeman, Roger Anthony. "Camouflage & markings, United States Army Air Force" London, Ducimus Books, 1974.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks for the great responses!

Thanks to everyone for the great replies.

I have learned a lot since my first post. Bryan Woods replied with two links that give a recent history of tail markings. It appears that more than one pilot was having too much fun buzzing ships and land based sights. The higher ups decided that it was time to come up with a system to identify aircraft by using lettering specific to each squadron. The system has evolved and is still currently in use. The link that Bryan sent will give you the tail letters of current squadrons.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Keith