trib

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to paint in the not too distant future and am trying to decide what system. I hear a lot of folks using PPC concept, but I have not been able to find this locally. I talked to a paint shop which I can get body shop price at through a buddy and they recommended Dupont ChromaOne with Dupont 615S etching primer underneath. Anyone use this paint or have a recommendation on it for an RV? Also, if you know of a good supplier for the PPG system who can be used for ordering from I'd appreciate that.

Find good quality locally

Tim,

I chose PPG only because I have a large PPG dealer in town. I did not want to buy my paint thru the mail, for the simple reason that if I run out of something, I did not want to have to wait for more solvents/paint.

IMHO, there is not enough difference between brands of Automotive Acrylic Urethanes to worry over. Local painting advice and a fully stocked dealership are more important to us amateur painters.

On the subject of pricing, I realized that the size of my order for an airplane was much larger than most body shops in town, particularly when purchased all at once. So, I made a list of everything I though I'd need and called around to towns within a 100 mile radius and let them all know that the order was going to the lowest bidder. As it turned out, the PPG dealer 60 minutes away got the order because he was $500 lower than the guy in town, and he delivered it to me.

Like the trucking business, paint is highly competitive and negotiated, so use your own volume advantage. Also, whatever brand you use, cross check any advice your dealer gives you with the manufacturer's technical support line. Your dealer can get you the number. I did the whole plane with 1Gal sandable primer (blocking primer), 1Gal Epoxy primer, 2Qts metal cleaner, 2QTs alodine, 2.5 gals of color (single color). Let's not forget sandpaper, reducers, retarder, activator. Oh and cleanup stuff: Acetone and lacquer thinner (home depot 5 gal cans).

Good luck,
Art in Asheville

Last edited:
While PPG is very good paint, nothing really beats an aviation specific paint like JET GLO or Alumi-Grip.

little advice

Just a hint.. after you get you fuse together, roll it over and paint the belly. Cutting in the belly takes a lot of pain out of painting one of these babies!! You'll be glad you did!!

HTH

Chris

go with jet glo its the youghest best looking paint I've ever seen. It won't even come off blasting it with glass!!!:)

Just a hint.. after you get you fuse together, roll it over and paint the belly.

Hey Chris,

I assume you did this. I was thinking of doing the same. Did you stop painting where the skins intersect? Or did you just mask off a section? What would you advise?

Thanks,

I paint all my under surfaces on a creeper. It's easy and think of all the energy you save not having to stand up. :D

Tim,

I chose PPG only because I have a large PPG dealer in town. I did not want to buy my paint thru the mail, for the simple reason that if I run out of something, I did not want to have to wait for more solvents/paint.

IMHO, there is not enough difference between brands of Automotive Acrylic Urethanes to worry over. Local painting advice and a fully stocked dealership are more important to us amateur painters.

On the subject of pricing, I realized that the size of my order for an airplane was much larger than most body shops in town, particularly when purchased all at once. So, I made a list of everything I though I'd need and called around to towns within a 100 mile radius and let them all know that the order was going to the lowest bidder. As it turned out, the PPG dealer 60 minutes away got the order because he was $500 lower than the guy in town, and he delivered it to me.

Like the trucking business, paint is highly competitive and negotiated, so use your own volume advantage. Also, whatever brand you use, cross check any advice your dealer gives you with the manufacturer's technical support line. Your dealer can get you the number. I did the whole plane with 1Gal sandable primer (blocking primer), 1Gal Epoxy primer, 2Qts metal cleaner, 2QTs alodine, 2.5 gals of color (single color). Let's not forget sandpaper, reducers, retarder, activator. Oh and cleanup stuff: Acetone and lacquer thinner (home depot 5 gal cans).

Good luck,
Art in Asheville

I second this comment. Paint is where you get it. Urethane doesn't know whose name is on the label.

Buy whatever supplier works hard for you and gives you good service.

I found a local car parts company selling DuPont Nason stuff and it is just what I need.

:) CJ