sirlegin

Well Known Member
My paint job is now 2 years old. Besides occasional washing and constant bug removal, what and when should a polish be applied and what are good recommendations?
Thanks

My paint job is now 2 years old. Besides occasional washing and constant bug removal, what and when should a polish be applied and what are good recommendations?
Thanks

Nigel, the PPG Concept single-stage paint on my RV-6 is now 15 years old and still looks nearly as glossy as it was when new. The key to making paint last a long time is to keep it clean and out of the sun. I wash the plane 2-3 times a year with an automotive detergent containing a bit of silicone and rinse it with plain water. I found the depressions around the rivet trapped polish so didn't continue that routine after a time or two.

Last edited:
I used Rejex (?) on my -4 for 10 yrs and have been very happy with it's performance.

Glenn Wilkinson

I second the use of Rejex. I used a clay bar on the entire plane then a coat of Rejex, very slick. :D

Another vote for Rejex ....

I use it on my cars too ... creates a super slick surface from which you can rinse bugs off with a spray hose.
I was told Rejex was developed by the military for helos for easing the cleanup problem left by exhaust residue on painted surfaces. It's perfect for aircraft fwd surfaces that get assaulted by bugs, leading edges especially.