skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I painted my interior with Stewart Ekocrylic a few weeks ago. While I am a raving fan of their Ekoprime, I've been disappointed in the paint. It's possible I did something wrong, but the durability just isn't what I expected. Considering the damage that happened just during my very careful installation, it's a given that parts like the aft canopy decks that the canopy frame (9A tipup) sets on are going to get pretty beat up during normal use. I'm curious if people have had success covering some of these high wear areas with paint protection film (not vinyl wrap, but the thick clear film typically used for car bumpers). I'm thinking about putting it on the canopy decks, as well as on the lower side panels of the baggage area.

While I appreciate that some folks are going to say I should have painted parts with XYZ, hard anodized, polished, etc, I'm already past that point of no return. My interior is painted. Now I'm just looking at add-on options since the paint isn't going to be as tough as I was hoping. On the next build, I'll do something different.

Good experience with PPF? Any brand particularly better than another?

I believe the main brands are 3M, Avery, Hexis, Oracal and Arlon although there are others. My wrapper told me his preference was 3M or Avery . The 3M vinyl he used on my 7 is still looking good after 7 yrs and 750 hrs. On my plane the red trim is vinyl. The 3M clear stone guard he used on the leading edge of the flaps is in good condition although it has some stains but no cut or tears. I would suggest a visit to local auto wrapper to discuss his recommendations.

Search Amazon for “low Tack Adhesive vinyl film“ (or something like that. I got a 30’ roll, 12” wide, and put it on al my recently painted interior pieces for teh Rocket - it’ll stay in place until the plane is finished and ready for unwrapping. Oh - whatever you get, test it on a painted surface for a couple of weeks, then rip it off - just to make sure…..

Search Amazon for “low Tack Adhesive vinyl film“ (or something like that. I got a 30’ roll, 12” wide, and put it on al my recently painted interior pieces for teh Rocket - it’ll stay in place until the plane is finished and ready for unwrapping. Oh - whatever you get, test it on a painted surface for a couple of weeks, then rip it off - just to make sure…..
Great idea. I was thinking I'd go ahead and put the thicker, clear protection film on that'll stay on once I'm flying, but I like the idea of using the much cheaper vinyl to cover things up for protection during the build itself!