lostpilot28

Well Known Member
OK, I've been wanting to write up my experience with the Stewart Systems paint for awhile, but didn't really have everything close enough to "done". I wanted to take some pictures to share because they'll be worth more to you than anything I can say.

First, I really want to say thanks to Frank Stringham for his insight with this paint system. It helped me be more cautious than I normally would have been. That being said, I didn't have nearly as many problems as I thought I would and the paint really seems to be very strong stuff. This is only the second thing I've ever painted in my life with an actual spray gun - the first was a bunch of motorcycle fairings a year ago (single color only). Painting the RV was by far more difficult than I thought it would be, but I'm extremely happy with the results, so to me, it was worth the effort.

The propeller tips had to be painted black (did that today), otherwise the prop and spinner would be on the airplane.

004.JPG

008.JPG

The details: The primer is extremely easy to work with. There's almost nothing I can say here to make that point. Pour it (mix in a little water if you want it thinner) and shoot. Pour what's left back in the can.

The paint is a different story. The 4 step procedure took a couple days to get used to, but after that, it's easy, too. Temperature seemed to play a big role in how the paint turned out. Oddly enough, when I shot the very first color (white) I got 5 or 6 runs and a couple "tiger stripes", even though the temperature was at the maximum allowed (85 F). I really made sure I followed the directions on mixing, so I can only assume that it was my gun technique that caused the runs and stripes.

Sanding out the runs was easy, and recoating a 2nd time fixed the stripes. You only have to make sure that each color on the airplane gets the same number of coats (with yellow and white) since lighter colors seem to have some transparent properties.

The 2nd color applied was yellow, and I only had a couple runs (fortunately in places where darker colors would be, so they were very easy to fix. Sand smooth and coat with darker color). After the yellow I seemed to get no runs, stripes or problems at all. I found that I was actually loading up the paint on some things and it didn't run. Not sure, but maybe the lighter pigments tend to run...I don't know, but things got progressively easier after the yellow.

I must have spent over $200 in masking tape...I couldn't believe how much I went through. Same with paper and plastic drop cloths. When masking for the gray stripes one day I spent 7 hours covering the white and yellow. I also learned that white masking tape sucks. Don't use it! It sticks really well, but bleeds paint underneath really well, too. The worst of both worlds!

I had lots and lots of little mess ups, but I've found that they're easily fixable. One thing that I heard about this paint was that you only get one chance, so don't screw up. That's really not true at all. Just like any other paint, everything seems to be fixable. I had (and still have a few) areas where I got overspray under the masking...it was easily removed with rubbing compound and then polished to a shine with polishing compound. Fisheyes were the hardest to fix, but still fixable (I only had one or 2)...sand if you want, then degrease and reshoot. Worked fine for me.

One concern that Frank and I discussed was the effect of a "halo" or satin ring around something that you re-shot. As per Dan at Stewart Systems, you can turn the gun way down (both material and fan, but leave the pressure at 22 psi) and shoot a very small area. You get very little overspray and any halo's or satin rings are minimized. They're still there, but you can easily buff them out to match the surrounding shine with a buffer and some polishing compound.

Also, if anyone wants to know, I did e-mail the owners of the paint scheme I borrowed (twice) and asked if I could use it. I never heard back...but I must give them credit for such a beautiful design. I'm glad I went with it!

Really nice, Sonny! Very original too. After Frank's detailed write up and then yours, with fantastic results for both of you, I'm inclined more than ever to give it a shot myself. One quick question, did you paint after final assembly or before? If the former, how was painting the belly?
Again, great job. Thanks for sharing.

More pictures

Just wanted to throw a couple more pictures up here...I was hoping for a 10 foot paint job, but it's much better than that. I can say that for me, it's a 1 foot paint job except for the checkers. They were a huge pain in the rear! The adhesive masking paper I bought at an automitive paint store didn't stick well enough and bled under too much. I have fixed 90% of the checkerboard problems, however.

Also, Stewart Systems said that you can add additional colors to the top of any color up to 10 days after it was shot. I think that's a stretch...I did the checkerboard patterns at 8 to 10 days and some of the paint would start to come up when I removed the tape! :eek: Fortunately, that's fixable, too! :D

007.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Really nice, Sonny! Very original too. After Frank's detailed write up and then yours, with fantastic results for both of you, I'm inclined more than ever to give it a shot myself. One quick question, did you paint after final assembly or before? If the former, how was painting the belly?
Again, great job. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Steve, I knew I was forgetting something! I did paint after final assembly, although I did remove the control surfaces, cowl and canopy. I used a creeper to roll around on while painting the underside surfaces and used the DeKups system with my DeVilbiss Finishline 3 gun. It worked great! Dan at Stewart Systems said he noticed some pulsing when he tried the DeKups system, so he recommended a pressure pot. I had no problems and noticed that if there's air in the DeKups cup, it's best to hold the gun upside down and remove the air prior to shooting. If you do that, it works great. I paid $40 for the DeKups trial kit and that's all I needed.

Very nice design! I like the "over the back" thing, and the classic checkered flag on the rudder! Very nice!

Last edited:
Sonny, beautiful paint! I'm planning to use Stewart's too. Any problems with orange peel? I have noticed that on some other Stewart's paint jobs.

Sonny, beautiful paint! I'm planning to use Stewart's too. Any problems with orange peel? I have noticed that on some other Stewart's paint jobs.

Hi Mike, Orange peel is very minimal. If you look closely from a couple feet away or less you can see some, but it's pretty minor. I found that at the higher temps it would happen more because the paint didn't flow out. I shot the gray and black parts when it was rather cold and it flowed out nicely. I did notice that with the lighter colors it was hard to find that "perfect" blend between too light and too heavy. I was so afraid of the paint running after my first white coat, that I erred on the side of too light. But, as I said, the orange peel I have isn't very noticable at all. Then again, I'm no expert so I may be really off-base with my observations. All I can say is that it looks very glossy and very smooth even from a couple feet away. :)

That looks incredible.
What did you use for a compressor? That's the biggest dilemna I'm facing with the prospect of painting myself. I don't really want to spend big bucks on a massive compressor that I'd only use for this. Plus there's the power issue in my shop (I only have 110V).

RE:Thanks and Fantastic

Sonny

YOU THE MAN!!!!!!!!!:D

Fanatastic job and I must say you have set a great standard for other waterborne paint heads to follow....

Frank @ 1L8 and KSGU ...RV7A... Phase 2

That looks incredible.
What did you use for a compressor? That's the biggest dilemna I'm facing with the prospect of painting myself. I don't really want to spend big bucks on a massive compressor that I'd only use for this. Plus there's the power issue in my shop (I only have 110V).

Hi Phil, I almost bought a big compressor from Harbor Freight, but my hangar (aka paint booth) only had 2 separate 20 Amp circuits. One ran the lights, etc, the other was for the compressor. I ended up borrowing my hangar-mates 30 gallon compressor and stringing it together to my 30 gallon compressor. It ran constantly but never dropped below 80 psi at the water trap...I suspect that the smaller compressors aren't designed to fill that large of a capacity. Either way, it worked out really well.

Vlad, thanks for the great many pictures...I'm not sure who's design it is, but it's beautiful. If it's yours, I sure hope you don't mind me "borrowing" it. I'd hate to have to change it now! ;)

Frank, I think you're the pioneer in this area. If it weren't for your write-ups and generous transfer of knowledge, I probably wouldn't have decided to give it a try. I really do think your airplane is top-notch...as much as it's not my place to say, I'd love to see you finish the paint job on the wings! Thanks for taking the time to talk with me on the phone about my many questions, too! It's very much appreciated!

Use HVLP spray system

That looks incredible.

Use HVLP spray system, small compressor with disposable filter on inlet will be more than adequate.:D

Only problem with those turbine systems is the air gets really hot, and the water-borne paints are especially sensitive to this. I could run an extra length of air hose to cool the air down, but I don't know of anyone who has successfully used a turbing system with Stewart Systems paint. Also, I'd be on my own for gun setup. With a compressor and the Devilbiss gun they recommend, the setup is tried and true and a known quantity.

snip

Also, if anyone wants to know, I did e-mail the owners of the paint scheme I borrowed (twice) and asked if I could use it. I never heard back...but I must give them credit for such a beautiful design. I'm glad I went with it!

Sonny check your mailbox, the owners responded after you emailed them may be the message was filtered to junk box. The detailed message should be from Alex Ratkin of CetusAero. They are glad you used their design...

Nice

Great looking plane. I like the shot of you airborne. Seeing both wings from above is where the paint job really pops.

Best,

Evans.

update

Just wanted to make mention of the new weight of my -7A. It gained 50 pounds! :eek:

The first weight and balance had a total empty weight of 1043 lbs...but that was with no wheel pants, gear leg fairings, intersection fairings, interior side panels (Aviators from Classic Aero), and paint.

I don't know how much each of those weigh, but 50 lbs still seems a bit high. I was hoping for a total of 40 lbs or less. I suppose 1093 lbs empty isn't too bad, though!

Weight

I initially weighed my -7A without wheel pants and gearleg fairings. When added it gained only about 12 pounds, but it gained 13 knots! Worthwhile tradeoff if you ask me. I'm picking up my plane from the painter on Saturday and I'm hoping for a gain of 20 pounds max. I figure the additional smoothness will compensate for the added weight. Wish me luck and photos to come!

Paint Quantity?

NICE!

A friend and I are planning on using the Stewart System. He has a Citabra, and I have an RV8. Trying to get a handle on quantities.

How much Stewart paint did use use?

Thanks for your help.

Bruce Niles