jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
RE: RV6,7,8, 9 w/sliding canopies:

I know this is small potatoes but I was wondering if people are painting their inside side skirts, skirt brace, and the top piece that bolts to the plexi on the canopy? The look of the shiny aluminum isn't bad, but my concern is reflection from the sun inside the cabin, and, possible corrosion down the road given that it is so close to the exterior seal/edge.

Also for the fit question, the forward edge of the side skirt has an 1/8" gap with the forward deck side skin. I presume this gets closed in with the fiberglass that is formed around the windscreen. The plans don't have a detail in this area and their is no mention. Without closing this gap it would seem that too much outside air would leak in not to mention H2O. What have others found?

Jim
RV9A-finish kit

Hi Jim

Paint the inside of the skirts to match the interior paint for a "finished" look.

The fiberglass 'wrap' around the top of the windshield comes down and over the canopy forward edge, covering that area.

Best,

Thanks Pierre for your response. The quote at the bottom of your reply is so true. I am still looking for that first part out of the box that actually fits without doing anything to it first.

Jim

BTW

For a comfortable-to-the-eye look, a soft shade of grey is a very good choice as well.

I've seen bright reds and greens on the dash and throughout the interior but grey always seems to appear the best choice...that and it matches things well, since most, if not all, your instruments...glass or steam gauge, will have black bezels,

Best,