todehnal

Well Known Member
I chose to scotch brite, acid etch with Alumiprep 33, prime with Dupont Veriprime and, and paint with Imron. Lots of other ideas out there, but that's the route that I am going. I'm not good with a gun, so I had a buddy with a huge paint booth to shoot for me. I must say that he got a nice finish, but he used almost half a gallon of Imron, painting one wing!! Is it just me, or does that sound like a lot of paint. I may end up with the heaviest RV-12 out there. Comments appreciated.
Tom

I chose to scotch brite, acid etch with Alumiprep 33, prime with Dupont Veriprime and, and paint with Imron. Lots of other ideas out there, but that's the route that I am going. I'm not good with a gun, so I had a buddy with a huge paint booth to shoot for me. I must say that he got a nice finish, but he used almost half a gallon of Imron, painting one wing!! Is it just me, or does that sound like a lot of paint. I may end up with the heaviest RV-12 out there. Comments appreciated.
Tom

You're looking at a 2 gallon paint job. Not bad.

RV-12 wings are pretty big.

Hi Tom, I just checked my records and for the base coat of light gray imron, I used 2 3/4 gallons. This is a 3 color job so I also used 3/4 gallon of red and another gallon of darker gray. It also took 1 1/2 gallons of primer and converter. Before paint and interior my weight was around 720#. Now it is 740# with A/P, Lights, carpet and side panels. Did you hear that Joe has been taxiing his? He has gotten a second wind. Every time I go over he is slinging wrenches and putting out fires. You're reading this aren't you Joe? Oh, I guess not, he is still roughing it in Itly!

Paint in Progress

Thanks guys. Glad to hear that I'm not way out of the norm on paint.
Yeah Dave, Joe and his son have been hard at it. My plan is to get the painting finished, before heading to Florida for three months of fun in the sun. That should give it plenty of time to cure and harden, making it a bit more durable for final assembly in the spring. Slow, but sure progress here, and hope to be flying our 12 by mid summer.
Tom

Minor Flaw

I have a little over spray on the bottom of the wing tip. I was thinking of hand rubbing it with a light (white speedy rub) rubbing compound, being careful to stay away from the rivets and see if I can get that area as slick as the rest of the wing. The Imron only has 3 days of cure time. Any thoughts??
Tom

Hi Tom, I used Final Kleen-3901s, a DuPont product that will remove that overspray. I had to use it myself. If the base coat has cured for a day or so, it won't effect the base. Good Luck. Have you heard anything from the Italian Stallion?