szicree

Well Known Member
Now that the fuel tank S/B thread has reached its millionth post I got to thinking about why someone would continue to fly an airplane that wouldn't draw fuel from the bottom third of the tank. I mean, he must've known that the pickup was loose or obstructed in some way. I've got to figure that he just didn't want to deal with getting that pickup outta there with the tank in place. I don't know about the other models, but on my 4 it's very tight between fuse and wing root and I think doing a good job of sealing the thing back up while working in such a small space is near impossible. On the other hand, if the tank were removed from the plane it's hardly any trouble at all. This has me changing my plans regarding paint. I always figured I'd just screw the wing together and paint, but this would guarantee a ruined paint job if I ever need to remove the tanks. My new plan is to paint the tanks (and screws) separately. It'll definitely be more work, especially if I decide to shoot any graphics, but down the line I don't want an issue like marred paint influencing my decision to do proper maintenance. Just my opinion.

Avery Tools sells a "paint cutter" that will cut the paint around screw heads. I used this when I had to clean the slosh compound out of my tanks. I put them back with stainless screws. Looks fine.
Mel...DAR

Mel,

I've seen the paint cutters but never used one. I gather it worked well? What about the seam along the spar? Any paint chipping there? Also, wasn't there a heated discussion on here a few weeks back about those stainless screws being too flimsy? Should I wear a helmet when I see you fly over? :p

I wouldn't advise against a helmet. You never know what may fall off. But after 13 years I still have most of the original parts. The paint cutter worked great. As a matter of fact, I used stainless screws from the start because I will do almnost anything to avoid phillips head screws. I use the torx head. Originally they were painted but now they are bare. Oh, on the seam I just ran a sharp exacto knife down the seam just to be sure nothing chipped.
Mel...DAR

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to Mel for recommending torx fasteners and to Mickey for giving the link to microfasteners.com. The website is super easy to use and my hardware arrived in two days. I used about 80 of these buggers to attach my left wingtip today and can't imagine going back to phillips screws.

One of the main reasons that phillips screws are used so frequently in aircraft is to keep people from overtightening them. Personally, I hate phillips screws. My airplane uses either torx or allen head just about everywhere. CAUTION!!! Be sure not to overtighten. It's easy to do with with torx and allen head.
Mel...DAR

Last edited: