painless

Well Known Member
Just got an estimate from a highly respected custom car builder/painter for the 6A to be done in my hangar.

Cost of materials was 30034.38 and labor was 9282.07.

Total cost....................$12,316.45 :eek:

This is not for an elaborate scheme either folks. Two base colors plus one trim color. No fancy stuff at all.

Is this in line with those of you who have had their projects professionally painted??

I think I need a drink................

That's quite a bit higher than recent high quality paint jobs that friends of mine have obtained. My buddy Alan just had his Archer stripped (which is a lot of work), painted, all of the plexiglass replaced, and a new glareshield pad installed for about what you were coated. On a new RV that does not require stripping, you should be able to come in well under $10K.

paint costs

I believe you should expect something in the $6000-7000 range.

Try to have it painted in THEIR hangar. Painting is a messy business.

Jeff, I think he doesn't want the job.

...justa guess, but to move all his stuff there and do the job right means big hassles and big loot.

You may want to look into someone else.

Dunno...

:rolleyes: CJ

My Rocket is currently in Bobby Potts shop in Tuscaloosa, AL. His base price was in the $6,500 range but mine is slightly over 10K due to metallic paints, multiple color stripes, and some graphic work on the vertical stabilizer. The price quoted you is way too high for a quality paint job. Shop around.

Added 11/03/06 - Bobby uses DuPont basecoat/clear coat system and buffs your entire airplane to a smooth finish. There's no annoying edges with the stripes like you get with the single stage poly paint jobs. That's why is costs a little more. Bobby painted a RV-7 last year that won a Golden Lindy at OSH. In researching paint jobs for over a year I learned one lesson - You get what you pay for. I found a paint job for $4,500 and believe me, it looked like it too!

Last edited:
I agree Jeff - that price seems way out of line for a new airplane with no paint to strip. Valkyrie didn't anything NEAR that to paint. Call or write to Grady at GLO custom, and unless he's doubled his price since early this year, you'll get a much more reasonable number!

Way to high

A first class paint job (basic layout) around here goes for less than $5K and that is to a plane requiring striping.

Im gonna quit my day job, fly to Wisconsin paint Jeffs airplane, take him and his entire family out to dinner and go flying all for under $5000. Where do I sign up?

:)

-Jeff

RV paint price

For a simple scheme such as base white with a couple of stripes I would charge about $4,500. I've painted over 20 rv's and have never came close
to chargeing that much for an rv! And we do good work and have pics
and testimoniels to prove it. GO to www.gillisaeropaint.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I would pay it, maybe

In California I was prepared to pay over $15,000 for a show quality paint job. The quality of the paint job is the most important thing to me. If the company is as reputable as you indicate and you want their top quality you are going to have to pay their price. If you don't need that kind of paint job you can certainly get a simple design, functional paint job for less than half the price you were quoted. I want it as good as I can get it and if I knew I would get top quality I would pay the price. $12,000+ would not be a reason to compromise.

Bob Axsom

RV_7A said:
Im gonna quit my day job, fly to Wisconsin paint Jeffs airplane, take him and his entire family out to dinner and go flying all for under $5000. Where do I sign up?

-Jeff

If you throw in sending my kids to college, its a deal!!! :D

Regards,

KTM520guy said:
$30k for materials!? I can save you 30% to 50%. Shoot me a pm. :D :p

After reading that quote, my hands must have been shaking!!
Make that $3034.38 for paint.... :eek:

Regards,

Jeff,

Give Randy at Central Aviation in Watertown, WI a call. He painted my Cherokee and does excellent work. His wife does upholstery, too. Their number is 920-261-1880. I would have had him paint my 7A, but I already committed to doing that myself before assembly.

Roberta

Hi Roberta:

That is where I originally was going to take the RV for paint, until the hangar-rats at MNM turned me onto this local guy.

To be honest, if I were in the hunt for a trophy or something like that, I would have this guy paint for me. He really does great work. But I am not ready to pour over $12K into a paint job. Not at this juncture. I have 2 kids in college and I don't need to pay for a divorce as well if I go ahead and write a check to this guy! :eek:

I will indeed give Randy a call and see what he can do, and when.

Regards,

show v/s production

if this guy is a car show quality painter then maybe. but really no one needs more than production quality. dont know him or you so its only my .02 some painters get that but then it no average paint job. you should be able to get a nice paint job for 4500-6500 three colors. show quality is alot of work and when done is worth the $$$. however alot of people think they are show and are not much better than the average pro paint shop.

Two problems with "show quality" and auto painters. Both these use too much paint. Two problems with too much paint on airplanes. It adds weight and thick paint tends to chip more easily. Remember the "Pair of Tens' in Colorado? Both beautiful airplanes (both took home awards from Oshkosh). The airplanes were identical in every way escept for paint. One was painted by the builder and one was painted by an auto painter. The one painted by the auto painter weighed 22 lbs. more than the one painted by the builder.

If I follow that logic

Mel said:
Two problems with "show quality" and auto painters. Both these use too much paint. Two problems with too much paint on airplanes. It adds weight and thick paint tends to chip more easily. Remember the "Pair of Tens' in Colorado? Both beautiful airplanes (both took home awards from Oshkosh). The airplanes were identical in every way escept for paint. One was painted by the builder and one was painted by an auto painter. The one painted by the auto painter weighed 22 lbs. more than the one painted by the builder.

That logic extends to say lot of builders should go on diets.

Bob Axsom

Yeah thats kinda high for a basic paint job. I just finished this one it was roughly that price, far from basic tho. If you are having it painted with single stage paint, like Jet Glo or something, 6-8k is about right, depending on how much prep work is needed. Base Clear would be more, figure more materials and double the amount of time needed to apply it, since it has technically 2 stages. Definitely dont do it in your hanger if you can help it, it is a pain for the painter, your paint job will suffer for lack of good airflow and the conditions of most hangers. I dont know where your located, but if your ever in central texas (77T) on San Antonio Sectional north west of ABIA about 25 miles, i would be happy to give you an estimate and maybe a rendering of what it could look like.
N274USsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Why it cost so much and how to reduce the cost

painless said:
Cost of materials was 30034.38 and labor was 9282.07.

Total cost....................$12,316.45 :eek:
I think we all can tell your respected painter in unison, thanks but no thanks!

The $3,000 for materials is a little bloated. The $9,000 labor is bloated by x 2. To be fair a Oshkosh award winner usually takes double the time of a standard paint job. You say he's a "famous" hot rod show quality painter, so that price may be right to make every inch look like glass. However a steel hot rod with 30 lbs of bondo and primer is hard to match with a riveted aluminum plane. Personally I like to see rivets and seams. Its my personal opinion that its a metal plane and should look like one. A little filler is fine, but watch the weight. A car painter is probably laying down lots of material.

Why does it cost so much?
First the materials do cost A LOT. For example, a Gal of paint can cost $500. Then there is EPA "haz-mat" waste removal. When they etch and alodine all the run off is collected and disposed of. All the paint, paint cups and paint suits/overalls can be haz-mat, depending on local law. Commercial waste removal is costly. BTW if you paint your own plane, please don't wash it down the drain for the sake of the environment. Than there's an endless list of other supplies needed.

Labor is costly is a big item. It takes time to dis-assemble, prep, prep, prime, paint, prep, prep, stripe, trim, assemble and so on. There is no way around that, except you can possibly lower cost by doing some prep work, short of doing it yourself.

How to save money:
Get advice like above for references reasonable painters

Offer to do dis-assembly and assembly (after you get the quote).

Use a simple paint scheme with min strips and colors. A white plane with some vinyl graphics can be real nice. Trim colors take a lot of extra time, materials (money). Red paint is the most expensive color.

Prep the plane yourself, especially and mostly fiberglass parts. Prep of fiberglass parts requires lot of time but doesn't not require super high skill or special equipment, just basic spray equip, primer, sand paper and lots of time. There is a lot of info on how to prep fiberglass, but make no mistake it takes lots of time, materials and money. However this is a big ticket item to hire out labor wise to get top finish. If you bring bare Van's fiberglass, epoxy cowl, wing tips, wheel, gear and tail fairings, you will get charged to prep them. They are far from ready to shoot for a real good finish. Metal prep is pretty straight forward. With the mass amount of chemicals to prep metal, it may be best to let the painter do it, but it's really easy and may be something a painter will let you do at his shop to save some labor.​

I'm happy if there's no runs, orange peal and good gloss and adhesion. Perfect show winners are great, but you get what you pay for, to a point. It may be hard to tell a $4,500 paint job from a $7,500 one. The $12.316.45, that's a bold price for a small plane that has never been painted. It's not like they have to strip the paint first.

Last advice, be careful about approx quotes. A $4,500 can turn in to a $8,000 paint job if you are not careful. Get a guaranteed price. Bottom line painters are not getting rich, but you expect value for your money. Stay away from "artist" show winner painters, just because they charge a premium. If you stay with local painters you can get gouged. If you're willing to go out of town or state, you can save lots money on the paint job, but the hassle factor goes up. Of course that means trucking or flying. It just basic time v. money.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
First the materials do cost A LOT. For example, a Gal of paint can cost $500.

I paid dealer cost on gallons of Sikkens paint and my pearl was $868.00/gal used 4 of those gallons. The colors can kill you on the cost with pearls being the worst of all. Of course my wife and daughter picked out all three colors, all being pearls, main color red, which is the most expensive pigment color of all.

Best,

Huh?

I don't understand where all of you are getting the idea that show quality painters are going load your plane with material and paint.

George, you clearly don't know any good show quality body people and painters. A real show quality guy will have fabricated parts and VERY little fillers because they want the job to last forever.

Additionally, I will put a show car guy up against a day to day airplane painter any time for a lighter finish. These guys know their materials and get the most bang for the buck.

I hope that Rob Drew sees this and can chime in. He is the owner of Drew Brothers Customs and guided me on my paint job. He has been featured in many auto publications. He is the owner of a 7 project that we will be working on with completion next year. He will quickly tell you a show paint job can be had without using an excessive amount of paint. It is what you do with the paint you use that matters.

A typical base coat clear coat is not that heavy. I used approximately 2 gallons of base (four colors) with some pearl and 2 metallics. Three coats of clear were added, four over the paint lines. After wet sanding everything and 3 stage buffing we probably lost a coat of the clear. I have less than $2k in materials.

As has been mentioned, the prep is the key. And, unless you are very knowledgeable in glass and prep work or getting some guidance from your painter I will gaurantee it will not be to their standards.

Rob you out there? Lets here it from a Show Quality painter.

Sandwich, IL paint shop

Perhaps someone will chime in here with the name of the shop, but there is one in Sandwich, IL (i don't remember the name for sure, but I am thinking Woodlake, maybe)

Anyway, have a friend that had his 7 painted there last year, did an excellent job, and I think it was somewhere in the $6000 neighborhood. He is on here pretty regular, user name JACKR. Good guy, he can tell you all about them.

I called the folks at Central Aviation in Watertown WI and described to them what I had in mind.

If I do all the fiberglass prep, the total cost should come in around $6000. Much more in line with what I was expecting.

Randy has me scheduled for January 15, 2007. Guess I better get at chasing those pinholes!

Regards,

If you want to be really shocked on paint prices check out Dupont Chrome Illusion paint. It's 12k a gallon. No joke! I wouldn't do a whole plane with it though. It would look nasty. A small stripe would be OK and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Woo, car v plane painter war

RV7Guy said:
I don't understand where all of you are getting the idea that show quality painters are going load your plane with material and paint.

George, you clearly don't know any good show quality body people and painters. A real show quality guy will have fabricated parts and VERY little fillers because they want the job to last forever. (comment :confused: )

Additionally, I will put a show car guy up against a day to day airplane painter any time for a lighter finish. These guys know their materials and get the most bang for the buck. (comment :confused: )

It is what you do with the paint you use that matters.

A typical base coat clear coat is not that heavy............... After wet sanding everything and 3 stage buffing we probably lost a coat of the clear. I have less than $2k in materials.

As has been mentioned, the prep is the key. And, unless you are very knowledgeable in glass and prep work or getting some guidance from your painter I will guarantee it will not be to their standards.
WHY ARE YOU PICKING ON ME? :eek:

First I did not mean to malign "Custom Car Show Painters". I don't care really and don't think most RV'ers care what title a painter has. King of all painters means nothing if they charge too much. I think most just want a nice paint job on their plane, at a reasonable cost. The thread stated with a $9,000 labor quote. That is where the car thing came in.

As far as skill, plane or car painter, good is good. Now the guys that do airbrush, pin striping, flames an so on, they are artist. Most painters are not artist, they are skilled technicians. It does take skill and practice and they're worth their wage. However some painters charge as much as they can get, and they are not really worth it. There is only so much the painter can do with a basic base color or trim. With modern paints, its easy to get good finishes.

Facilities like down draft paint booths are cool and do add quality. The original thread was about a $12,000 hanger paint job. You can paint in the drive way if you want and still get OK results, but having a paint booth is nice. With the plane apart, wing, tail you can get the whole thing in a paint booth, which is handy. Painting upside down adds difficulty. (BTW some airport authorities will ream you a new one if you try to paint in your hanger.)

Applying basic paint jobs should not cost that much, period. However that does not stop them from asking for $$. The paint systems are so good its not hard to do a nice job now a days. However it does take LOTS OF TIME. As I suggested prep of fiberglass can cut cost. The problem is paintesr who got burned quoting a RV with "paint ready" cowl and fairings may be skeptical of your paint ready parts. Fiberglass as it comes in the kit needs quite a bit of massaging to get ready.

To answer, I do know show painters and worked at body shops when I was in high school. Of course back than a show quality paint was 15-20 coats of lacquer, hand rubbed between coats.

My point about CAR painters, they do use filler. Just watch any car show, "American Hot Rod", "Muscle Car", they all use filler to get every panel to line up. Showing all the SEAMS, BUTT JOINTS and RIVETS on my plane is cool to me. Some car guys (read some) may talk you into filling things that don't need filling. A friend's RV got the bondo treatment for a car painter. Also car guys may not know about Plexiglas. It has to be protected from all chemicals, covered 100% in and out.

You mention color sanding and "probably lost a coat of the clear", so you mean you had extra material to sand defects out. Its not a weight thing but on a small plane. We are talking a few pound. However on a jet it makes a difference. That is why they use single stage paints.

Buffing paint out on a plane is tricky. The skin is soft and moves if pushed on between ribs or fames, which make a high spot. Add joggles and seams, it means mostly hand sanding, slowly and carefully. A friend hand color wet sanded his whole plane, a small single seater. He was in his hanger for what seemed like days wet sanding, with a bucket of water, sandpaper and shriveled blue wet hands. His hands where blue from the paint, not because he was cold. :rolleyes:

Some car guys (some not all) only use base/clear, because that is what they know. Nothing wrong with that. The top of the line single coat aerospace finishes can save labor and look good, very good. It's a preference of mine to use JetGlo. I don't know the price now; it seems all paint has skyrocketed in price. Even if you do it yourself and labor is free, do you want to spend hours, days wet sanding? Jetglo goes on and has high gloss, shines, no sanding, no second clear coat.

JetGlo is a single coat system, not requiring color sanding/buffing or clear coat. It looks fantastic and can be buffed and repaired.

JetGlo is NOT cheap and does require you know how to shoot it right the first time. (That's why I hired a painter to shoot the paint :D .) With the base/clear you can sand/buff out defects like runs.

There are probably more colors available in the base/clear systems. If you want pearl and metallic flake, it locks you into even fewer paint systems. I'd avoid fancy paint additives. It makes it harder to match touch up repairs. For wild paint jobs, flames and graphics, base/clear may be the only way to go.

An amateur with good equipment and practice can do a nice paint job (no offense to custom painters). It's not top secret or take Vincent Van Gogh ability. Just good practices and skills, which are easily learned. The BIG caveat of doing it yourself is NOT breathing chemicals in. Get a fresh AIR MASK and cover all your skin. Of course clean dry air of sufficient quantity is a challange. I have not used any of the HVLP systems, but the price is not bad.

The big down side of doing it yourself, you can blow it, which means you have to strip the paint and start over. :eek: This is where the Pro painter comes in. Painters who really are in the business, not working out the back of their truck, will warranty their work. If it starts to peal or bubble they will make it right. It happens, even to Pros. Just be sure you pick a painter who stands by their paint job and will not leave town. That was another friends sad experience.

I disagree that fiberglass prep is hard or beyond an average builder. You say it will not likely meet the painters standards? Who cares, get another painter that will work with you. Some painters have good reasons for not wanting you to do prep, because they feel they are liable for the finish. If the paint bubbles or peals off down the road due to your poor prep work, they don't want to be responsible.

The problem with painting RV is its small planes and only bring in so much money. Big paint shop have only so many slots. A big TWIN in the paint bay makes more money than a RV. You may be taking up the spray booth from a more lucrative job. Its a business and they want to make money. So some big shops may charge more if they are busy. Again they may really not want your little plane, unless you pay big bucks, supply and demand. That's where going out of town may pay off.

The simpler the paint job the easier to repair or match if needed, and it will cost less (at least it should). If you don't need a repair or touch up, than it does not matter. Hope your pearl, metal flake paint job turns out great. Sounds like it will be awesome. :D

Last edited: