AndyRV7

Well Known Member
Hi,

I was wondering what your opinions are on paint color and windshield glare. You never really see a very dark color on the top of the cowl and I am wondering how you people feel about the whites and yellows and other light colors that you choose?? I love the clean look of a white plane but that seems like it would cause some issues??

Thanks. Andy

Just not an issue for me. I think the top of the coweling painted black looks bad. (JMHO) It's pretty rare you have problems with glare. If you do just change directions for a 1/2 hour, not worth the extra paint. A good pair of polarized sun glasses works just fine too.

Last edited:
Military

I believe that black painted cowls originated with the Military pilots looking over shiny unpainted aluminum. We have an off-white, eggshell paint color and it's not a problem regardless of where the sun is. I also believe that some guys paint theirs black for a retro look.
Regards,

White everything

I do all sorts of flying...Ifr XCountry to acro not an issue.

Frank

White is my color.

No problem looking over the cowl. It is not that much of your field of view.
I would be careful about color and lights inside the canopy, if you plan to fly at night. Lots of reflection to watch for.

Kent

Thanks guys. I agree, a black cowl would not be very attractive (in its own right anyway). I am leaning in my mind to a white plane, so it's good to know it's not a real issue.

Thanks guys. I agree, a black cowl would not be very attractive (in its own right anyway). I am leaning in my mind to a white plane, so it's good to know it's not a real issue.
I agree with everyone, during the last 2 years I owned my Champ, it had a bare aluminum cowl and it was never a problem.

Another issue that I haven’t seen addressed here is the heat factor. The fuselage of my newly purchased -4 is a very dark blue and when it’s in the sun on a hot day, there must be a good 20-30 degree difference between the blue areas and the white ones. You literally can’t keep your hand on the dark blue areas, while the white area feels barely warm.

We’re considering adding a fan because in the long run, this can’t be good for our GPS/COM and other instruments.