BigJohn

Well Known Member
We mounted the gear legs and the axles today, and checked alignment with the string, as instructed by the plans. The left gear shows about a 3 degree toe-in, and the right a little less. My question is, won't this change when the full weight of the airplane is on the gear? What have others seen at this point? Don't know if I should order shims or not.

35-03 shims

I blindly followed the plans for aligning the wheels. Even if the alignment changes with the airplane fully loaded, I assume that Van's considered that when they wrote the instructions. Drill bits make good feeler gauges. According to my scientific calculator, a 1/16" space over the length of the wooden alignment block means that the alignment is 1 degree off. I purchased from Van's a 1 degree shim for the left side and a 1/2 degree shim for the right side. Now the string is almost perfectly aligned with the wooden blocks. Those shims seem expensive at $8 each for a 2" square piece of aluminum. It would be difficult to make my own.
Joe

I agree with Pete. Keep it in mind, but, it will change as the build continues and as the gross weight changes. It will change if you load and unload the right and left main gear. Check it when just about done before making any changes. Search this forum as this has been previously discussed.

Another idea

Wait until you have a few landing on it. It will shift a little after it gets banged around some.

John Bender