dinowal

Step 12 instructs us to press the VA-110 flap knob onto theF-1260A flap handle tube. I tapped in on with a rubber faced hammer until it bottomed. Over the page on 32-08 step 3, we are told to trim the tube until the flange of the knob is flush with the flap handle. Mine needs to be trimmed 1/8 inch. Problem is, (& you have probably guessed by now) I can't get the knob off the tube, & can't see any way to get it off without mangling & ruining the knob, the tube or both. has anyone else had the same problem, or can some clever person suggest what I should do? Thanks, cheers, DEAN...

I just heated the knob quickly, and it came off easily. I had it off twice, once more to remove the "finger pinching" lip and to reduce the spring tension.

Thanks for that, Don, - I have heated the thing with a hair dryer, - gets pretty hot, but I suspect the tube gets hot & expands, too. Will try cooling the tube with something from the 'fridge & heating the Knob at the same time, - wish me luck ! DEAN...

Yeah, I would think an acetylene torch, or at least one of those soldering torches would be required. Cooling the tube at the same time would help also.

Thanks for that, Don, - I have heated the thing with a hair dryer, - gets pretty hot, but I suspect the tube gets hot & expands, too. Will try cooling the tube with something from the 'fridge & heating the Knob at the same time, - wish me luck ! DEAN...

This might work.

Boil water

Fill tube with ice water

Put knob in boiling water for a few seconds

Do not put tube in boiling water (yes the tube on the knob could be considered "in the water" but ignor that by noting that the immersion time is a few seconds.

Remove from water

Use apporatly sized open end wrench I.e. bigger than tube and smaller than knob and a hammer to separate tube from knob.

Clean up mess.

-Dave

Last edited:
Still stuck

Hi Dave, - thanks for that, I put the whole thing in the freezer, then heated the knob, still no joy... Will try your method however, persistence will eventually pay! Cheers, DEAN....

I opened my vise just enough to still catch the lip on the knob, then when knob hole was enlarged by heat, pulled back sharply on the tube to separate it from the knob.
You have to hold your mouth just right to calculate that period of time before the tube gets heat transferred to it and enlarges.

You may be a victim of "gauling" in which case extreme force may be required.

Gauling: when aluminum on aluminum rub together little "pills" of the aluminum may be scuffed up between the rubbing surfaces locking them together

I had this happen to me once with an aluminum threaded rod in a tapped aluminum plate. A very memorable experience.

The above definition and spelling are my own and are probably a little wrong.

-Dave

Drill out the 4 rivets installed in step 5 on page 32-07. Remove Fork Assembly from Flap Handle Tube. Cut tube to length. Repeat step 4 on page 32-07 but with the fork rotated 90 degrees from its previous orientation in relation to the tube. Drill new holes in the tube and rivet the fork to it. It is better to error with the knob slightly recessed inside of the flap handle than to have it stick out too far.
The word "PRESS" in Step 12 on page 32-07 should be changed to "Loosely fit".
Joe Gores

Thanks to you gentlemen for your suggestions. I was starting to come to the conclusion that I would have to reduce the length of the tube either from the bottom or cutting & reinforcing in the middle. I will have a couple more attempts at the cooling/ heating strategy, then if no go, will shorten from the bottom as Joe suggests. Annoying, but not a huge deal in the scheme of things.... Cheers, DEAN....

Success!!

Dave, your method worked beautifully! Filled the tube with water poured off some ice cubes, ( no added scotch), the tube got very cold very quickly, then put just the knob into a cup of boiling water for 7 or 8 seconds, quickly into the vise, a few taps on a small adjustable wrench & off it came!! Thanks very much, flap mechanism now 100% .... Cheers, DEAN....