Gagarin737

Well Known Member
Some more questions ;-) ;
1) If you have to fasten the bulkhead fittings do you also have to use loctite or something alike?
2) And is there any torque value for those fittings?
3) Further what kind of lube to use for flaring?
4) Torque value for the other fuel fittings (mentioned before but I could not find it anymore)
5) For the brake cylinders and fuel-strainer I need some "thread sealant". At Aircraftspruce I'm unable to find such a product. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Joeri.

More on your questions

1) I did not use any Loctite on the bulkhead fuel fittings and did not torque them to a specific value. Theoretically, once the fuel lines are attached to them, there is little chance they would loosen or move so I just snugged them up the old fashioned way- by feel!

2) When flaring the tube ends, I used a few drops of the liquid Boelube. However, I would think that any aluminum cutting oil or light oil would be fine.

3) The Standard Aircraft Handbook that came with the kit does have a torque table for flared tube fittings. It is on page 183 if you have the Sixth Edition. I used this for tightening the fittings.

4) Like Mark, I used EZ Turn Fuelube on any fuel line fittings and also on the brake line fittings (Van's indicated it was fine for that as well- cannot tell you yet how it worked, as I am not finished with the brakes yet). While some say that you are not supposed to lubricate the actual flare, the RV-12 manual indicates it should be done so I also placed a very light coat of Fuelube on the flares as well.

Hope this helps.

I recommend practice flaring some scrap tubing first, it takes 2-3 attempts before you get it right... Make sure you don't flare until after the nut and ferrule are installed. rinse the finished product with acetone to remove cutting oil, then blow it out with compressed air to get any chips out.

One more question about the fittings;
With the angle fittings installed in e.g. the fuel valve and gascolator I guess I don't have any choice; put them in tight and in the right position. Is that correct?
The fitting through the firewall is straight. What procedure to apply there?
And the fittings in the fuel pump and flow sensor must be torqued and to what value?
I have the table from the handbook and some other info but all those non metric sizes confuses me.

Thanks in advance, Joeri.

Answer from Van's to torque the fittings in the gascolator/flow sensor/fuel pump; "rule of thumb: snug, then one flat (1/6 turn) more"