cactusman

Well Known Member
Patron
When attaching the bearing brackets to the baggage ribs, I pulled the LP4-5 (7 per bearing bracket) with the manu side on the inside (baggage rib side) which is the thinner metal. I noticed in the videos and on several blogs that the typical way was to drive/pull these rivets with the manu side on the bearing bracket.

Should I be concerned? Will call Van's and ask....I was faked out by the comment about the flush, manufactured heads....which of course is the 426 rivets at the top of the bearing bracket assemblies. I read it and figured they were talking about the 426 rivets but also thought you were supposed to pull rivets with the manufactured side on the thinner metal.

I noticed in older blogs that some 470 rivets were used as well but that seems to be all Lp4-5 for all 7 spots, so that leads me to think that it probably does not matter that much.

Last edited:
It usually does not matter which way rivets are installed unless specified in the plans. In the area under the heavy center channel where the landing gear attaches, the manufactured head should face the landing gear to give more room to install parts.
Joe Gores

When attaching the bearing brackets to the baggage ribs, I pulled the LP4-5 (7 per bearing bracket) with the manu side on the inside (baggage rib side) which is the thinner metal. I noticed in the videos and on several blogs that the typical way was to drive/pull these rivets with the manu side on the bearing bracket.

Should I be concerned? Will call Van's and ask....I was faked out by the comment about the flush, manufactured heads....which of course is the 426 rivets at the top of the bearing bracket assemblies. I read it and figured they were talking about the 426 rivets but also thought you were supposed to pull rivets with the manufactured side on the thinner metal.

I noticed in older blogs that some 470 rivets were used as well but that seems to be all Lp4-5 for all 7 spots, so that leads me to think that it probably does not matter that much.

It sounds like the way you installed the LP4-5's is fine. If Van's wanted a particular orientation they would have said so in the plans. Of course, you could verify with a quick call. Maybe Scott will chime in on this. He has been pretty quiet lately.;)

The LP4-5s are used in all the slots now in the current plans....I spoke with Van's BS (builder support) and I think we all agreed that unless specified the direction the rivets are pulled has no bearing!

Thanks all. Nothing like calling it a night at 110 degrees and then reviewing the videos for the next step and thinking you screwed up! Again!

John, you're a brave soul to work in PHX heat! I blew off June, July and August in 2011 for building. I guess you young guys take the heat better! :)