BigJohn

Well Known Member
No matter how agressively I flute, I can't get enough of a bend in the last (most forward) section - just before the sections are notched out. Seems like they should have notched one more section. I wonder how others handled this, and if it is permissable to cut an extra notch instead of trying to flute that section enough.

I put a double flute in that last location, I believe Jerry Greenberg got permission from Van's to notch it. See mine and his blog.

I had the same problem, but Van's said not to worry about it. There is enough flexibility in the rib that even if not totally flat when you flute it, it will be ok. I was skeptical but followed their advice. When I attached the skins I had no problem with lining up all the holes. I did use my awl a lot, but I never felt like I was forcing the rib.

No matter how agressively I flute, I can't get enough of a bend in the last (most forward) section - just before the sections are notched out. Seems like they should have notched one more section. I wonder how others handled this, and if it is permissable to cut an extra notch instead of trying to flute that section enough.

Big John.. I also double fluted as I approached the bend. I actually lightly fluted some of the adjacent straight section. This spread the curve over more of the wing tip rib. It is hard to understand until you just do it.

If you still cannot get the rivets to go in, as a final resort I would consider drilling out the holes, in the wing tip rib only, to #30, leaving the holes in the wing skins alone. The computer punching machine does not punch out the full #30 hole size, so drilling out to #30 gives you a little extra wiggle room literally :) You have easy access to de-burr the drilled holes in the wing tip rib after drilling and before riveting. You may want to ask Vans about this before you do this.

I had to file the forward tab on the aft wing tip rib for a good fit under the forward wing tip rib. This also released some of the tension.

After match drilling the final aft wing skin you may find that two rivets will not go flush since they hit a shop rivet head. I was able to gently lift the skins together on one side with a rivet shop head gauge which allowed me to get the rivet down flush and hand rivet. On the other rivet I was able to angle the rivet so that one edge was down and then, again using a hand rivet puller, slowly pull and angle the rivet head flush.

I had the same problem, but Van's said not to worry about it. There is enough flexibility in the rib that even if not totally flat when you flute it, it will be ok. I was skeptical but followed their advice. When I attached the skins I had no problem with lining up all the holes. I did use my awl a lot, but I never felt like I was forcing the rib.

Mark... I believe you are talking about the wing ribs. The wing TIP rib actually needs to be curved on purpose using flutes.

Jeff

Success!

So, armed with all the advice, which I appreciated very much, I attacked the rib again this morning. Thought for sure I'd end up notching one or two sections, but first tried again fluting with all the patience I could muster. Ended up with a good fit and no fractured metal, but not without many many many times clecoing and unclecoing. Triple fluted two or three of the sections in order to get enough bend. Then the rib began to twist but I solved that by fluting a couple sections on the opposite flange. All worked out OK without going to Plan B, which was to cut notches. I can hardly wait to get to the right wing!

<fluting a couple sections on the opposite flange> ????
Hm...I just assumed that we were supposed to flute both flanges anyway, so that's what I did and it seemed to work out. I did have to get much more aggressive with the fluting pliers than expected. That and using a awl to line things up seemed to make it all come together OK. Good luck

<fluting a couple sections on the opposite flange> ????
Hm...I just assumed that we were supposed to flute both flanges anyway, so that's what I did and it seemed to work out. I did have to get much more aggressive with the fluting pliers than expected. That and using a awl to line things up seemed to make it all come together OK. Good luck

Yup. I fluted both flanges.

Jeff

P.S. I scanned the left side of the page for the flaperon actuation bracket, saved it as a PDF, and then printed it at 103% for a life size template.

Last edited: