AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
On page 10-09, the instructions say to install the 1/8th inch clear tubing over the shop head on the static port rivet, then seal with RTV (paraphrasing here). Should RTV be coated on the rivet head before slipping on the 1/8th in tube?

Also, the instructions say to heat the tubing before slipping it onto the plastic tee. The tubing will slip on without heat fairly easily. What is the purpose of heating the tubing? Does it cause the tubing to shrink? In that case, should the tubing be heated after being slipped onto the fitting?

Sorry for the number of questions contained in this one post. I couldn't find this topic addressed using the search tool.

Jerre

Warming the tubing is only an aid to get it attached to the tee.

Thanks, Marty.

With the 1/8th inch tube slid over the shop head of the rivet for the static port, it seems quite easy for it to slip off. I haven't added RTV yet, so this may firm it up a bit. The plastic tee has a much greater length for the tubes to slip over, so they seem quite secure.

Jerre

Whadda coincidence, Jerre. I installed my pitot-static lines today. Brought down my electric teapot, cup, and was all set for the hot water routine.

Long story, short - it all slipped together with nary a drop of hot water. My wife could make herself a cup of tea.

Now -we'll see if those easy-on connections leak.....

Bob Bogash
N737G

Jerre, I followed the instructions to the letter and just made darned sure I sealed the static connections well with RTV. I just finished pulling a suction of the static system per PAP requirements, and my leakdown was well within specs.

You definitely want the static system to be tight - going back into the tail cone when you vacuum test the system would not be a picnic. So carefully seal all connections.

Walt Shipley

P.S. PAP requires you to obtain a 35cc syringe to do the pitot & static tests. I bought mine at Tractor Supply. The syringe is marked in ml, not cc, but a cc is the same as a ml.

Jerre, I followed the instructions to the letter and just made darned sure I sealed the static connections well with RTV. I just finished pulling a suction of the static system per PAP requirements, and my leakdown was well within specs.

You definitely want the static system to be tight - going back into the tail cone when you vacuum test the system would not be a picnic. So carefully seal all connections.

Walt Shipley

P.S. PAP requires you to obtain a 35cc syringe to do the pitot & static tests. I bought mine at Tractor Supply. The syringe is marked in ml, not cc, but a cc is the same as a ml.

Good info, guys. Thanks.

I put a fair amount of RTV (sensor safe, of course) around the rivet head/tube connection. I'll test it (gently) after it sets up.

Jerre