newamiga

Well Known Member
Ok guys.. I have been fighting figure 1 on page 10-05. Specifically how one test fits the stabilator in order to determine the appropriate washers to put on each side and then super glue them in place. I have looked at several builders sites but most people don't mention this step. Maybe I am the only one having and issue with how one gets the washers in place to put the bolt through in order to test fit and then super glue in place. It appears to be impossible to do with fingers, needlenoze pliers, or even tweezers. Any hints? I get how to do it once you know which ones to put in there and how to super glue them. it is the initial step of fitting them in there that is not working for me.

Thanks for any help.

Carl

Washers

I'm not building a 12, so YMMV...but one shop hint I use on washers is to make a "handle" with a narrow strip of duct tape (approx 1/8" wide, length to meet the need). Stick one end of the tape on one side of the washer, fold over and stick the other end to the other side of the washer. Pinch the sticky parts of the tape together and grab the washer "handle" with needle nose, tweezers, or small forceps.

Short "handle" for close reach/long "handle" for long reach.

Once the washer is in place you can yank the "handle" off.

Mike

I am not building a -12, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn express, but. . .

Avery Washer wrenches are a must have. No pictures, but they are spring steel that grips the washer and allows you to slide it in place, capture and then yank out the washer wrench.
Forty bucks well spent. Besides, it is not airplane parts, it is tools and nobody can have too many tools.

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=23800

Thanks for both hints guys.. I just can't believe there are so may builders who have had to have hit this step and only one ref in all the builders sites I have seen. I am wondering if people are just skipping the step and putting in two fat washers.. one on each side.

Take a piece of thin aluminum. Make a rectangle about 1/8 inch wide and 3 inches long - a sliver. Stick a small piece of blue masking tape on the end - so that most of the tape is on the sliver but a little bit sticks out past the end of the sliver about 1/8 inch - the distance from the edge of the washer to the hole.
Stick the washer onto the tape so its edge butts the end of the aluminum strip. You will find you can manipulate it very easily. Get it in place, push the bolt through, then just pull the aluminum strip away. The sliver does not get in the way like needle-noses and other things - it is the same or less than the thickness of the washer.
I find that super glue does not work worth a flip for this. A bit of the fiberglas 2-part epoxy does a better job. If you have the West Systems stuff, you can mark the plungers so you get get a 1/2 "squirt" of both parts - just the thing for a tiny job. You can add it with a toothpick. Put a little wax on the bolt in the middle for that and you can later withdraw it and the washers will remain. Bill_H - about to install the engine!

Page 09-04 Figure 2

Ok the good news.. I figured out how to get the washers in place in figure 1 of 10-05. In doing so I put the bolt in place to make sure the hole lined up. Lo and behold the bolt goes right through the nutplate. I checked and it is the correct AN-12A. So I check the nut plate and despite Van's best efforts to confuse by putting all 50 nut plates in one bag I got the only two K1000-4 nut plates in place and riveted to the HS-1213B. So either they sent me the wrong mutilated or my bolts shrunk by some miracle. I am very unhappy with the kit right now so I am leaving the hangar for the night and am dead in the water until I can figure out what wrong parts I have. Of course I leave on travel for the rest of the week tomorrow.

Thanks for any ideas. Carl

Wrong bolt?

I get the impression that you are using AN3-12A bolts instead of the correct AN4-12A bolts as called out in Figure 2 on page 10-05. In the event that the nutplates are the wrong size, you are lucky that they are accessible and can be easily replaced. Many nutplates on the plane would be very difficult to replace. Some builders have discovered defective nutplates (no threads) installed in inaccessible locations. It is a good idea to inspect every nutplate before installation.
Joe Gores

Guys.. in double checking it appears that although the package the bolts came in is labeled AN4, they do appear to be AN3. Guess lesson learned I need to double check the bolts even though they are packaged as one size. The real kicker is that I was shorted what I thought were the AN4 bolts and was re-shipped 4 extras from Van's marked clearly AN4-12A. I should have caught that earlier.

Thanks Carl

Washer wrenches

will come VERY handy in several places as you proceed. A fellow EAA member loanded me a set and once I tried them I immediately ordered a set. For reall difficult places you can combine the wrench with a piece of tape.

Wayne 120241

The guys at the paint shop take needle nose pliers and grind a hole on the inside of the jaws, out near the tips. You can also grind them thinner if you need to. They are good for holding bolts, washers and nuts. (Sorry no picture)

It is also helpful to develop a special sequence of curses to employ whenever a washer slips out, falls on the floor and rolls into a crack.