Hal-san

Well Known Member
Patron
Ok gang, tell me how you got the squeezer on the two middle rivets by the hinge brackets on the F-1211B doubler.:confused:

Tried that

Thanks Scott, but I tried that and the squeezer would not align properly with the rivet due to interference from the flange.

Thanks Scott, but I tried that and the squeezer would not align properly with the rivet due to interference from the flange.

Hmmm...The parts were designed do that a squeezer with a 3" yolk could reach from the center. I wonder if you have a squeezer that has something different from typical.

Try reversing the dies. Sometimes you have to use the length of the moving portion of the squeezer to avoid interference with flanges.

You'll get sick of changing dies, or want to borrow or buy 2-3 more squeezers.

Last edited:
thanks guys

I have the Avery squeezer which broke squeezing the rivets on the F-1211 assembly. I got the old trusty rivet gun out and set them that way.

Dyslexic?

Page 10-04 Figure 2 shows the majority of rivets with a symbol of a triangle with a circle inside. And the symbol also has 3 lines parallel with the sides of the triangle. So I looked at the legend to see what kind of rivets they are. Not realizing that there are two similar symbols, I looked at the wrong one and think that all of those rivets are AN426 countersunk rivets. The previous instructions never said to countersink those holes. Looking ahead in the plans, there is nothing that mounts on top of those rivets. I could not figure out why they were calling for countersunk rivets. I would have called Van's builder's support but it was the wrong time of day. After wasting an hour searching the forums and reading the plans again, I finally realized that there are two identical symbols, but one is rotated 30 degrees. I mistakenly looked at the wrong one. Oh well, at least I did not call Van and ask another dumb question.
Joe

Page 10-04 Figure 2 What am I doing wrong?

After riveting the F-1211 fuselage bulkhead assembly, I looked it over. The solid squeezed rivets looked good, both factory heads and shop heads. Then I noticed a space between the F-1211A and F-1211B. I had it clecoed together. Why did the two halves spread apart? This never happens with blind rivets. I have had this problem before when using solid rivets to join thin aluminum to thick aluminum. During the riveting process, the thinner material forms a dimple and pushes itself away from the thicker material. The rivets hold the two parts tightly together. It is the area surrounding each rivet that is dimpled and holds the two bulkheads apart. I think it does that because the solid rivet expands and enlarges the hole in the thinner material, creating the dimple. If I did not squeeze the rivets as much, dimpling might not be a problem. But then the shop heads would not pass the diameter test. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your advice.
Joe