newamiga

Well Known Member
Sorry accidentally posted as a reply to my previous question.
Ok the good news.. I figured out how to get the washers in place in figure 1 of 10-05. In doing so I put the bolt in place to make sure the hole lined up. Lo and behold the bolt goes right through the nutplate. I checked and it is the correct AN-12A. So I check the nut plate and despite Van's best efforts to confuse by putting all 50 nut plates in one bag I got the only two K1000-4 nut plates in place and riveted to the HS-1213B. So either they sent me the wrong mutilated or my bolts shrunk by some miracle. I am very unhappy with the kit right now so I am leaving the hangar for the night and am dead in the water until I can figure out what wrong parts I have. Of course I leave on travel for the rest of the week tomorrow.

Thanks for any ideas. Carl

Ahhh, don't sweat it too much. We have all made mistakes, I know we have. had to re-order parts and "do-over". Yeah, it does stink when ya goof up, but chock it up to learning. We were going thru the same thing a year ago.

BTW, don't get too mad at the kit, it is the best out there....even if all 50 types of nutplates and bolts come in one bag.

Thanks but I still have the issue that the nutplate is the one in the directions as is the bolt and the bolt doesn't fit the nutplate. I guess I need to call Van's tomorrow and find out if they either mislabeled the nutplate they sent to me or the nuts they sent to me.. or the plans have the wrong part numbers. One of them is wrong.. just not sure which one yet.

Ok a little Googling makes it appear that Van's sent me the wrong nutplates. It appears what I have on there is likely a K1000-5 or -6 which would explain the larger thread. Does anyone further on in the kit know where they use one of those? I am figuring since the rivet hole placement is the same they mis-pulled them. Guess I get to drill them out and have them ship me the correct ones.

Carl

Ok a little Googling makes it appear that Van's sent me the wrong nutplates. It appears what I have on there is likely a K1000-5 or -6 which would explain the larger thread. Does anyone further on in the kit know where they use one of those? I am figuring since the rivet hole placement is the same they mis-pulled them. Guess I get to drill them out and have them ship me the correct ones.

Carl

Don't be insulted that I am asking this, but are you sure you are using the correct bolt? It is an AN4 , not an AN3. Your first post left out that number. I have done far dumber things, especially late at night!;)

In double checking.. although the packaging said AN4, it appears these are AN3 bolts. I had re-ordered 4 extra AN4-12A bolts and they came in a package marked that way from Van's but it appears that they were mislabeled. My bad for not double checking the size instead of depending on their labeling. At least I know I am short a couple AN4-12A bolts now. Thanks for all the help. I knew the answer had to be obvious but it was not coming to me last night :eek:

Carl

You can try to get along without it, but:

I had lots of such problems at first too. There are several ways to identify stuff in the kit, but one of these little bolt gauges is worth the few cents they cost. I either got it at Aircraft Spruce or one of the other suppliers. Would not be without it, and sure wish I had it at the very beginning. After some time it all becomes part of your memory pretty much, still nice to be sure.
ygkz7.jpg
[/IMG]

Wrong Bolts

Just heard from Van's. They confirmed they had sent us the AN3 bolts mislabeled as AN4's and are sending replacements out today. I feel better. I do need to check bolts and nut plates more carefully in the future.

Carl

Another trick I learned, was when selecting a nutplate, go find what is supposed to screw into it later, and make sure you have compatible threads/size.