Auburntsts

Well Known Member
OK -- I'm stupid. Now that I've got the disclaimer out of the way, what's the procedure for packing Matco bearings with the integral rubber seal on the nose gear? Packing the bearings on the mains (or my boat trailer for that matter) is straight forward, but I'm not sure how to proceed with the Matco's because of the seal and I don't want damage anything by screwing around.

Be sure to check the MATCO web site for appropriate maintenance procedures. As I recall, the MATCO nosewheel on the RV-12 (#WHLNW51CC) has a similar bearing configuration. This type of bearing does not need to be greased -- it is a sealed bearing. Also, the manner in which you install / tighten the axle nuts is different depending upon the model number of the wheel. Be sure to check with the manufacturer's manual.

-- David

David,
The bearings in the wheel you mentioned are ball bearings. The ones on my wheel, a NW511.25, are tapered roller bearings and are sealed on one side with the rubber shield but are open on the other.

lg.jpg

I've been over the Matco site but can't find any procedures on packing the bearings.

Todd

Last edited:
Same as packing a typical tapered roller wheel bearing except that you need to apply a some grease on the lip seal and the area where the seal rides. Then, after assembly, wipe off the excess.