GalinHdz

Well Known Member
If you hook up the P-Leads of a P-Mag to the tach input pins (32/33) of the DYNON EMS-220, do you need any resistors like you do for regular magnetos or can you just connect them direct? Mine is a flying aircraft already connected this way and I don't want to run another set of wires just for the tach.

:cool:

I would think you can connect them directly if you want... however, I am pretty sure you won't get any Tach reading on the Dynon :eek:

Whilst it might be labelled as a "P-Lead" I think it is just a "enable" lead, and will not carry any pulses / RPM info? I may well be wrong though...

Seperate wire

If I remember correctly the P-mag has a separate wire that provide RPM info to the EFIS.

If I remember correctly the P-mag has a separate wire that provide RPM info to the EFIS.

Correct. Pin 6 on the Pmag is the tach signal.

Based on your question, I strongly suggest you stop right now and read the entire Pmag manual!

This is your ignition you are messing with and you don't want to screw it up.

Correct. Pin 6 on the Pmag is the tach signal.

Based on your question, I strongly suggest you stop right now and read the entire Pmag manual!

This is your ignition you are messing with and you don't want to screw it up.

The Pmag manual shows Pin 6 is an OPTIONAL tach signal output. Using or not using the P-lead in this capacity is not on the Pmag manual, or at least I didn't see it hence the question.

The Pmag manual shows Pin 6 is an OPTIONAL tach signal output. Using or not using the P-lead in this capacity is not on the Pmag manual, or at least I didn't see it hence the question.
Correct, it is optional because when they came out people were still using mechanical tachs. Thus, using this output is OPTIONAL.

Also, the default setting is two PPR so make sure your Dynon is also configured for two PPR.

Since you are installing P-mags, I strongly recommend you install a second set of wires on the P-mags and bring them into the cockpit and terminate them in a DB9 connector. That way, if you ever want to use their EICAD program or install an EICommander, all the wiring is there.