dreed

Well Known Member
Hi all-

Doing some research while flying East (in the back) and with recent thread of the 390 with P-Mags and timing.

It looks like the Advanced 5600's can display timing using the coolant inputs. Wondering if anyone has done this yet, and if so has a shot of it.

Thanks!
dan

Someone did it on the SkyView but they weren't accurate as the unit converted digital output from the P-mags to analog for the SkyView.

Timing display on EFIS

Dan,

I am in the process of doing that right now with my AFS touchscreen 5500 EFIS with the Skyview network. If you have a Garmin setup you can send the data direct to the EFIS according to some of the posts here on the forum.

With the AFS you will need an adapter because the AFS efis will not read millivolts. You will need a way to convert millivolts for displaying on the 5600. Acft Spruce sells an adapter designed for the Lightspeed ignition but you will need to check with Pmag tech reps on what the mv to volt conversion is because that will determine the values to input on the “coolant” gauge in the EFIS that you you will be using as the timing advance. I have an Electroair ignition on the right side and it just happens to have the same mv to volt timing conversion as the Lightspeed- .01V=1 degree of timing advance.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php

261-AF214-BC4-B-4149-B120-14214151905-B.jpg

Here’s part of an e-mail from Flight Data Systems on setting up for my configuration, realize of course that the suggested wiring is for an Electroair system so you will need to substitute your spark advance signal wire in step 2 below (pink, J1 pin 21) with your signal wire.

“Please connect the L2e to your electronic ignition as follows:
- Power L2e from Dynon EMS pin 18. +5V
- Signal to L2e from spark advance signal, pink, J1 pin 21. All four signal inputs and outputs on the l2e are identical.
- Ground the L2e at the same point were the ignition system control box is grounded.
- Output of the L2e to Dynon EMS pin 12 (coolant temp). Got into the settings of the 5500 and configure the pin as ignition timing and the sensor as l2e.”

You will need this data from Pmag as it may be different from the Lightspeed settings. You might also want to call Charles Neumann at Flight Data Systems to discuss this- 831-325-3131.

F4-E74-ABB-16-AB-4-ACE-9783-77-A8-B8-DE2-C09.jpg

CDD83-EB8-71-C4-4-A1-E-968-D-469-A8-D207571.jpg

Last edited: