GalinHdz

Well Known Member
I am contemplating installing P-Mags on my Lycoming O-360 A4M. Is there a maintenance schedule for P-Mags like the 500hr inspection for Slick Magneto's? :cool:

Manual is on line

You can look at the install manual online, the maintenance requirements are in there, but basically they want you to pull it, feel how it spins then reinstall and time it. Check the wires etc. pretty simple.
Tim

There are things they say to check annually on their website:

OPERATING NOTES: Annual Inspection - The Installation and Operating Guide has a list of items that can be incorporated into your annual condition inspection. [Excerpt from Manual]:
1. [Instruction to check with this web page to look for more recent updates]
2. Ignitions come with a thermal sticker that will trip (turn from light ash color to gray or gray/black) if case temperatures exceed 200 degrees (F). If triggered, review blast cooling and/or other ventilation issues that affect ignition cooling. Keep ignition temperatures below 200 degrees.
3. Ohm check plug wires (see “Ohm Check” above [in manual]), and examine spark plug for signs of unusual wear or build-up. Gap plugs per instructions. When reinstalling auto style plugs with auto plug adapters, review plug/adapter installation guidelines above [in manual].
4. Remove ignition and examine shaft condition. Note: Ignition disassembly is not necessary (and if done may void your warranty). Look for excessive play (lateral and axial). Shaft rotation should be free, with no catching, flat spots, or grinding. The shaft on “P” models (with internal alternator) will have a rippling effect as the shaft turns and the permanent magnets pass the rotor poles. This is normal and expected. If a P model ignition does not have this magnetic ripple, the unit requires additional (shop) service.
5. Examine control plug and coil plug connections. Verify there are no stray wire strands or loose wires. Verify all control wires use the Adel clamp strain relief.
6. Reinstall the ignition, and verify proper operation. Review Setting Ignition Timing instructions above [in manual]. For P models, re-verify minimum operating speeds when running on internal power (see Minimum Operating Speed test [in manual].)

I have dual P-Mags on the same engine, O-360-A4K, no problems noted after 500 hrs. The annual mx procedure can be accomplished in 30 minutes. Simply unbolt, slide the P-Mag out just far enough to see the drive gear teeth for wear or damage, rotate it to insure the shaft is not wobbly, up and down and side to side and feel for the magnetic fields as the shaft is rotated. Check the gasket for damage and push back in and tighten nuts. Check that the screws on the wires are tight on the plug(pwr, gnd, p-lead, rpm, and jumper)and check each lead for ohms. I re-time both my P-Mags simultaneously, good for another 100 hrs. Dan