JohnF

Well Known Member
I think everything will be in order for my first flight early next week. In the
RV6A I had (160HP w/Warnke prop) you need a LOT of right rudder to stay on centerline during takeoff roll...not hard to do, but definately required.

Is P-Factor something I will notice on the RV-12 or is it more docile?

You'll need moderate / light right rudder and if you have a left hand cross wind might even need to drag the brake for a little while until the rudder gains authority. Certainly, not a big deal, but it you will need about the same or less as the -6a.

Like my old instructor said when I asked him the question of how much right rudder to keep the plane on the center line, his response was; "Whatever it take!" ;)

Last edited:
You'll need moderate / light right rudder and if you have a right hand cross wind might even need to drag the brake for a little while until the rudder gains authority. Certainly, not a big deal, but it you will need about the same or less as the -6a.

Like my old instructor said when I asked him the question of how much right rudder to keep the plane on the center line, his response was; "Whatever it take!" ;)

Actually it is a left crosswind that causes more turning tendency, not right.

The RV-12 has more rudder authority once the nose wheel leaves the ground. In a strong left crosswind it is helpful to lift the nose wheel as soon as possible. I hold the stick full back and then move the stick fwd as soon as the nose begins to rise (only a couple of seconds after power is brought up)
I know this seems opposite of what would be expected but it works. I have made takeoffs in 15-17 Kt direct left crosswinds without dragging the right brake.