Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Ever have one of those daydreams when you asked....what if?

Read several post on doing an twin RV. Wonder what the performace would be if someone was able to take a couple of 4's and build the equivalent of a P38 Lightning!!

Wonder what you could tell ATC it was....an RV44??

Let's see, 2 empanages $2,650, 2 wing sets $11,550, 3 fuselages $12,330....hey, this ain't far from a 10!! couple of 360's (not far from a 540 in $$),
Find some retracts from a Bonanza....hmmm, getting more interesting....and you would only need to do one canopy and interior.

Wonder if one of you computer gurus could CAD one up for us?

Talk about an OSH showstopper!!!

Twin Mustang vs P-38

A twin Mustang (P-82)would be easier/cheaper.

In the fifties, the Thrasher Brothers here in Georgia used a twin Ercoupe in airshows. See <http://ercoupe.com/story_4.php>

So, two RV-4 fuselages with perhaps heavier gear legs and an RV-9 horizontal stab should do it!

All we need is time and money!

I can't believe that you guys never saw the "original RV-8" design.
Van actually did an article in the RVator in the early '90s for this airplane. The article talked about purchasing a Piper Apache for the engines, instruments, and landing gear. Then building 2 RV-4 fuselages, etc.
Even though the drawing was dated April 1st., Van was still inundated with calls asking when the kit would be available.
A couple of years later, I showed him a "computer generated" picture of my RV-66. This would allow for a 4-seat aircraft in a side-by-side-by-side-by-side configuration where no one has to sit in back. He looked at it for a few seconds, looked at me and said; "Don't be showing that around!"

Last edited:
Some one needs to post some of these pictures, drawings, ect. I don't know if I'll be able to just imagine the awesomeness much longer!

A twin Mustang (P-82)would be easier/cheaper...

Yep... For some reason the thought of 2 RV-8's joined in the F-82 configuration keeps popping into my head.

It would be interesting to do a preliminary performance analysis to see how 400 HP would move this thing along.

I suspect that you would need a reverse rotation engine on one side because the very high percentage of passenger weight in the airframe could make an asymetric thrust/loading situation very exciting, to say the least.

...In fact, it may not even fly all that well if flown solo without balast even with both engines running.:confused:

I'm thinking you'd want a single horizontal and elevator!!!! Just imagine one pilot trying to climb while the other tries to descend:eek:

Looks like a triplet of twins:D

Jeremy Constant

Not looking at a twin mustang look...It's the P38 look with a center section and 2 fuselages with the engines.

I bet it would be a screamer......

I can't believe that you guys never saw the "original RV-8" design.
Van actually did an article in the RVator in the early '90s for this airplane. The article talked about purchasing a Piper Apache for the engines, instruments, and landing gear. Then building 2 RV-4 fuselages, etc.
Even though the drawing was dated April 1st., Van was still inundated with calls asking when the kit would be available.
A couple of years later, I showed him a "computer generated" picture of my RV-66. This would allow for a 4-seat aircraft in a side-by-side-by-side-by-side configuration where no one has to sit in back. He looked at it for a few seconds, looked at me and said; "Don't be showing that around!"

Mel, please show....I would love to see. I'm thinking of a 2+2 in that configuration........Wonder if it would cook a 10's rump!!!

Back when the RV-10 was just a dream, someone here at the ole VAF shopped this possible four seater.

RV-82RPrototypeAs.jpg

I didn't save it but the inline four seater was neat also.

Turn the middle section into the cabin. Keep the fuselages either from 4's or 8's.

p38h.jpg

My first bout with Photoshop

I was very glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is a great idea.

I grabbed this pic of Justyn Gorman's RV-4 about a year ago and decided to tweak it.

RV-82dcopy.jpg

I call it the RV-82

Yeah, but...

This is all well and good, but does anyone have any opinions on whether these monsters should be tricycle or taildragger?

- mark