flyboy1963

Well Known Member
I've read quite a few threads on where to buy O2, build & buy a system, etc.

Where is a good source fo info on training on operational use of it?......short of the military?
It sounds like most guys just plug it in and go, but I'd kind of like not to run out halfway into my flight over the rockies, or use too little and nod off at 15,500'. ( same end result tho'?)

Obviously going up with a safety pilot the first few times would be advisable, but that sounds like a lot of tankage to have one guy on 100%, and playing around with the other flow until pilot #2 gets happy... or passes out!

Is there a source of info on flow rates per pound of pilot, and similarly for passengers, children, pets?....or are individuals so different in absorption that we need a little monitor clipped to our finger?

thanks for any advice or operational tips.

Put system on (eg cannula)

Have O2 tank on. I have another on/off flow rate device.

At chosen altitude start using supplemental O2. I use 12,500' but live at 6800'. Flatlanders may decide on an altitude in the 8000-10,000' region.

If uncertain of flow rate, monitor the tank level periodically.

If uncertain about effectiveness, consider the pulse oxymeter or equivalent.

Increase/decrease flow rate as required for changing cruise altitudes.

Turn off system upon reaching selected lower altitude.

Probably frowned upon to smoke while using O2. Sunscreen may be an issue but uncertain about this.

I recently completed a flight at 17,500' and used O2 for perhaps 2.75 - 3 hours. Consumed about 350 psi.

Last edited:
I ask myself if I am doing ok. If I respond affirmatively, I continue.

I was recently told about affordable oximeters and intend to get one soon.

http://tinyurl.com/695mwyp

I just ordered it. Now I will have an actual number to assess the usefulness of my O2 setup.

Last edited:
I use one of the small oxymeters every time I fly high. Wouldn't be without it.

My O2 system lets each user adjust for their own needs. And yes, keep the oxymeter reading above 90%.

If your bottle is at all reasonable sized, you'll get several trips out of it. Mine, a large portable bottle, lasts all summer.

I've read quite a few threads on where to buy O2, build & buy a system, etc.

Where is a good source fo info on training on operational use of it?......short of the military?
It sounds like most guys just plug it in and go, but I'd kind of like not to run out halfway into my flight over the rockies, or use too little and nod off at 15,500'. ( same end result tho'?)

Obviously going up with a safety pilot the first few times would be advisable, but that sounds like a lot of tankage to have one guy on 100%, and playing around with the other flow until pilot #2 gets happy... or passes out!

Is there a source of info on flow rates per pound of pilot, and similarly for passengers, children, pets?....or are individuals so different in absorption that we need a little monitor clipped to our finger?

thanks for any advice or operational tips.

Perry,

Here is a starting point:

http://preciseflight.com/v_res/preciseflight.com/usr/003NMAN0001A_Final_FAA.pdf

Joe

Last edited:
I'm not totally convinced that "90%" is the right number. I think there is variation between these oxymeters. Mine, for example, reads about 91-92% at home sitting around, when "saturation" should be closer to 95-96%. Even with plenty of oxygen, I can only get the oxymeter to get up to maybe 94%. I think that my oxymeter generally reads low, so I generally just compare to "normal" for me and my situation. I don't worry if my reading is in the high 80s.

YMMV (your meter may vary).

greg

I'm not totally convinced that "90%" is the right number. I think there is variation between these oxymeters. Mine, for example, reads about 91-92% at home sitting around, when "saturation" should be closer to 95-96%. Even with plenty of oxygen, I can only get the oxymeter to get up to maybe 94%. I think that my oxymeter generally reads low, so I generally just compare to "normal" for me and my situation. I don't worry if my reading is in the high 80s.

Mine just read 95...........right now..........sitting in front of this computer.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Mine was 98 in Las Vegas the first time I used one. Next week I will be able to check anytime I wish.

O2

Hi Perry,
I use the Aerox Oxysaver cannulas. They greatly extend the "time in the tank" in my built in oxygen system. I can show you the system in my plane and give you the run-down on how to use one nbext time you're down this way. It's actually more simple than one would think. My biggest challenge is to get the tank filled for a reasonable price. The most I've paid is $200 for a fill at the Shell CYHZ airport. They filled it before they told me the price. That was for a top up! I still had 1000psi in the tank. I personally consider $50 to $60 a reasonable price for a fill and don't feel too taken advantage of until fill costs get above $80. Oh ya, after the $200 fill "someone" wanted more air and pulled the o2 knob instead of the air vent know in the ceiling of my PA44. Noticed it the next day and lost about 600psi. Oh well... New check list item, O2 system off!

Maybe it's the meter OR maybe it's you.

greg

Greg,
Put your oxymeter on someone young, of normal weight and good health. See what the meter reads then. If it's low, send your unit back for exchange. If it's higher, might be time to go see your doctor.
Charlie

Flight Performance

Just out of curiosity, what is the planes flight performance above 12, 500'? Is it more beneficial with these types of aircraft to fly higher?

I'm mulling over using O2 as well. How much extra weight are we talking about here for one of the portable systems? How long does a tank typically last before it needs to be re-filled?

Cheers

Chris

Just out of curiosity, what is the planes flight performance above 12, 500'? Is it more beneficial with these types of aircraft to fly higher?

I frequently get the "how high do you fly?" question, and the answer all depends on the winds. RV's have enough excess horsepower that they can retain their speed much higher than the average SPAM can. But the laws of physics still apply, and attainable TAS drops off as you go higher because you just can't get the power from the thinner air. Peak performance in still air is usually thought of as 8,000', since that is (about) where you can get 75% rated horsepower out of the engine, which is often considered to be a good "max continuous" power setting. Above that, TAS is going to fall off, so the question is, can you make up the airspeed loss with tailwinds to get a better ground speed?

I find that unless I can get a good tailwind boost, going much above 12,500 just slows me down. But it is NOT hard to find a good tailwind! I consider 13,500 to be a practical maximum unless the winds are going to add more than 20 knots. I've had the airplane up in the Flight Levels, and while that is a lot of fun, it is not what I would call "practical" for long periods - unless, again, you can get 70 knots on the tail.....my rule of thumb is that anythiing about 17,000 is impractical except for special cases, such as clearing mountains or significant weather.

It's a piece of cake to use an RV to clear the high mountains - you'll give up some speed, but its nice to have the rocks well below you when you cross over. You'll give up speed, of course, but you can always descend on the other side and pick it back up....

Paul

I just ordered a "home made" 02 system off e-Bay and Amazon $430 complete. New aluminum tank with toggle valve and gage, new adjustable regulator, pendant style nasal canulas, fittings, new pulse and oximeter, fill yoke & gages. Everything but two "H" tanks for filling.
Thanks Rocketbob for your help and inspiration! You da man! ;)

Aaron, a buddy is going to let me buy fills from his cascade O2 system 2 hangers down. He spends hundreds of hours at 13,500 and up to 17,500 mapping towns and terrain for municipalities and governmental agencies. (like Google Earth) You should see his camera set up! $$$$$! His O2 system is butt simple and he fills his own from "H" welding cylinders, has for many years.

Last edited:

I prefer to fly high for cross-country flying in my 9 (between 12500-17500) because the airplane is more efficient up there (unless headwinds are present) and because it gives me more time/options if there is a problem. I don't see any degradation of performance with altitude - yes, the percent power decreases, but that seems to be matched by the increase in true airspeed because of the thinner air. In other words, I still have plenty of power to keep my speed up, at least as high as 17500. Consider this anecdotal evidence, since I really haven't done any specific tests at these altitudes. I typically can get 25-30 mpg at altitude (running LOP) and cruise at ~170 mph. Impossible to get the same efficiency below 8000.

Charlie,

I'm pretty certain that the problem is the oxymeter calibration. Doesn't give any better numbers on my wife or 24-year-old son. It's too long ago that I bought it to return so I just have done the mental adjustment that "~90% is saturated on this meter," and don't worry until it falls below about 87. I'm convinced that it's precise, just not accurate. One of these days, I plan to get a new one, since the prices seem to be coming down to reasonable.

greg

mounting?

thanks Joe, MIke & all who have offered advice. I see I have some research to do before crossing the rocks, and then some shopping!!!
One last question; is it practical to build a mount like a fire-extinguisher bracket for the tank? or do most just strap it into the baggage compartment?
I can see the need to restrain it in an impact, but you need good access to read and adjust the gauge etc.
hwo does one do both? maybe seatbelt shackles on the tank straps so you can click it into place.

I lay the cylinder across the back of the seats and tie it down. It fits the area quite well with the guage on the right side.