airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
You guys that are running O2 sensors for AFR monitoring - what model are you using? I would like to install one while I'm doing my FWF work now, rather than later.

I will see occasional 100LL use and I understand the sensors have a limited lifetime with lead exposure, but the majority of this engines life will be burning 91 mogas.

Mark Langford or KR2 fame did a decent writeup on installing one on his Corvair. His O2 sensor (that I plan to use eventually as well) is Bosch part number 11027.

1-wire O2 sensors are only accurate right around 14.7:1 AFR, outside of that they are useless. They produce 500mV at 14.7:1, but go to zero or 1V within a couple tenths and it is not linear. You may know you are richer or leaner than 14.7, but that's about it.

The wideband kits, such as the Innovate LC-2 show true AFR from 10:1 to 20:1 and they are accurate across the entire range. . I have one on my turbo Eagle Talon. It also has the 2" gauge as well. The replacement sensor is around 40$.

1-wire O2 sensors are only accurate right around 14.7:1 AFR, outside of that they are useless. They produce 500mV at 14.7:1, but go to zero or 1V within a couple tenths and it is not linear. You may know you are richer or leaner than 14.7, but that's about it.

The wideband kits, such as the Innovate LC-2 show true AFR from 10:1 to 20:1 and they are accurate across the entire range. . I have one on my turbo Eagle Talon. It also has the 2" gauge as well. The replacement sensor is around 40$.

The Innovate site shows the bosch (LSU4.2) wide A/F sensor is $79. Do you have another source for that one? That is still a good price as an ND brand wide A/F sensor for my Toyota is $165 as a "will fit" part from Advance Auto.

I acquired a couple Bosh 02 sensors for free, the number on the side is: 05149263AA ABASZ 0258 017 212 LSU 4.9 203125 06 982 /6.
Problem is, there are 6 wires coming out of it, not sure which ones to use. Anybody got a clue?

The Innovate site shows the bosch (LSU4.2) wide A/F sensor is $79. Do you have another source for that one? That is still a good price as an ND brand wide A/F sensor for my Toyota is $165 as a "will fit" part from Advance Auto.

So the wide-band sensors, they just put out a variable voltage that linearly relates to the air-fuel ratio, is that right? What I'm wanting to do is feed this into one of the general-purpose inputs on the Dynon Skyview for a display widget so I can see what the AFR is in realtime.

You still need a controller such as the LC-2 to provide the output, but yes they linearly put out 0-5V natively for AFR. You can also configure the software to put out 0-1V and substitute that for the factory narrowband sensor in cars, or for other uses. You could feed the 05V or 0-1V output to anything that will accept it and calibrate it for voltage to AFR.

You still need a controller such as the LC-2 to provide the output, but yes they linearly put out 0-5V natively for AFR. You can also configure the software to put out 0-1V and substitute that for the factory narrowband sensor in cars, or for other uses. You could feed the 05V or 0-1V output to anything that will accept it and calibrate it for voltage to AFR.

So to feed a 0-5 signal to a 3rd party display, I would need the sensor itself plus the LC-2 controller, correct?

Correct. the LC-2 comes with a WB O2 sensor, and its not that expensive, or heavy. The LC-2 computer is made into the harness.

Allright - update on this thread - I bought the Innovate LC-2 kit and I'm about to install it, but I notice that Bosch has a temperature limit of 900F on the oxygen sensor. One of the error codes for the LC-2 is for too hot, and the correction step is to move it as far downstream as possible. I'm running an IO360 with Vetterman crossover exhaust, can I put it in the crossover or do I need to put it all the way down into the last several inches where it exits the cowling?

Was there any resolution on the O2 sensor location?
I've ordered a Vetterman crossover system for the Superior Cold Induction sump, and I would like to weld in the O2 sensor bungs before installing the system on the plane.
I'm also considering the crankcase evacuator, so that bung should probably be downstream of the O2 sensor, so how close to the end of the exhaust pipe is too close?

I haven't cranked it yet, so I can't say for certain - but I put the O2 sensor in the left half of the crossover, just forward of the firewall. My oil separator evacuator goes in the same position on the right side.