mistergerf

Anyone got a suggestion for in-line sealing snap disconnects compatible with the plastic lines in an Aerox 2D kit ? (I got the liability blah-blah from Aerox, they wouldn't sell me the parts.)

I want to plumb the kit in semi-permanently. The idea being that I run lines up to somewhere around the panel and then the snap disconnect allows me to remove the cannula and flow meter for stowing when not in use.

I guess the disconnect doesn't absolutely have to be sealing - since I can disconnect the unused line at the regulator, which would also discourage me from leaving the unused line pressurized while the pilot's line is in use.

Also, does anyone know what type of plastic line they use ? Is it plain old clear PVC line ? Smells like it ...

g

Don't know about the lines, but...

I order two lines of custom length extension so that I could leave them in place all the time. They are routed under the arm rest with the left one also going under the cross brace behind the seats of my RV9A.
I will have the flow meter/cannula attached at the disconnect under the forward end of the arm rest. This line is held in place with plastic stick-on wire tie blocks. The flow meter will be held to the side of the fuse. with Velcro, which will stick nicely to my interior.

Now I just have to decide where to store the flow meter/cannula when not in used.

Kent

Try here...

mistergerf said:
Anyone got a suggestion for in-line sealing snap disconnects compatible with the plastic lines in an Aerox 2D kit ? (I got the liability blah-blah from Aerox, they wouldn't sell me the parts.)

I want to plumb the kit in semi-permanently. The idea being that I run lines up to somewhere around the panel and then the snap disconnect allows me to remove the cannula and flow meter for stowing when not in use.

I guess the disconnect doesn't absolutely have to be sealing - since I can disconnect the unused line at the regulator, which would also discourage me from leaving the unused line pressurized while the pilot's line is in use.

Also, does anyone know what type of plastic line they use ? Is it plain old clear PVC line ? Smells like it ...

g
I believe the lines are in the Tygon family, and food safe, after all it is going into your lungs.... :)

You don't want to leave the lines pressurized and no mask/cannula plugged in. I did this on my sailplane, and when I landed I had a bulge in the line almost the size on an egg. It was in the low pressure side of the regulator, but I think altitude and temperature effects can cause the O2 to expand in the line.

The Aerox fittings are available here, along with many others...

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page36.htm

Call Tim (# on the web site) and tell him what you want to do... I'm sure he'll have the parts to make it fit.

gil in Tucson

Usual Disclaimer -- only a satisfied customer, and he has a good on-line catalog... :)

If you're not dead set on Aerox, give the Mountain High folks a call. I just did exactly what you said. I did a semi permanent installation in my -8. I installed the bottle in the baggage area right behind the rear seater. I plumbed a low pressure line from the regulator on the bottle through the 807 bulkhead and then under the rear seater armrest to a "tee". One line when to a quick disconnect self-sealing fitting on the armrest while the other line went through the 806 bulkheadand followed it up to near the canopy rail and then forward to another fitting on the 805 bulkhead for the pilot. The MH people said the fittings won't leak throughout the course of a normal flying day but will have some loss if the valve on the bottle is left open permanently. I just used it on a 4-day flying trip. The valve was open during the day while I was flying and I shut it off after flying for the day. I did not notice any loss. The MH low press lines are designed to hold the low press. from the regulator. I used the AL-647 bottle, good enough for 15 man hours at 15K with the Oxymizer cannula. On a 3 hr leg at 16.5K the indicator went from the top of the green arc at 2200 psi to the bottom of the green arc at 1850 psi. Not to shabby!

Jerry

Type of line...

RV8Squaz said:
The MH low press lines are designed to hold the low press. from the regulator.
Jerry
Jerry,
Are the MH low pressure lines nylon looking and somewhat stiff, not the flexible clear lines of the mask/cannula?
That is what I changed my sailplane system to after the "egg" incident... :)

gil A

The lines leading up to the quick disconnect fitting look like a clear blue vinyl but it's hard to tell whether it's vinyl or not. It seems heavier and stiffer than plain vinyl.

Jerry

RV8Squaz said:
If you're not dead set on Aerox, give the Mountain High folks a call.
Jerry

Actually I already plunked down the cash for the Aerox 2D system - I was in a hurry to get something up and running before my Labor day trip. So I'm kinda stuck with it. I didn't do my research first - if I had I would have gone with MH.

Here's what I ended up ordering:
Tygon 3036 tubing:
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=5554K11&pagenum=102
And some non-sealing quick disconnects:
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=5478K218&pagenum=176\

I decided to go with the non-sealing type disconnect because I've heard some horror stories about the low pressure lines failing if you allow pressure to build up behind the disconnect.

I'm gonna try Wings and Wheels for a refill setup (Thanks Gil !)

g