cbo111

I recently purchased an RV-7A. Can anyone point me to a good summary of what types of maintenance I can do on the aircraft (something other that the cryptic FAR legal mumbojumbo)? I do not have any maintenance certificates but would like to do my own oil changes, etc if it is legal.

It is an Experimental, you are the owner. As such, you can do any and all maintenance, repairs, etc.. You can not sign off the "annual" condition inspection. I'm sure someone with way more experience than me will chime in, but that is the gist.

This topic has been discussed at length in many threads including this one. Do a search on 'owner maintenance' or 'repairman certificate' which will give you the information you need :D Rosie

Maintenance

Well.... the most helpful answer I can give you is that you as a pilot can do LOTS of things...BUT... I would not do ANYTHING on the airplane unless you KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.... and have done it before under supervision of an experienced aircraft mechanic. Far 43 is one thing.. but having a good relationship with your aircraft mechanic is Priceless. GO buy a FAR AMT. Go buy an AC 43.13 book. Install in your restroom and spend lots of quality time reading. Look in Appendix A of FAR 43.
Best
Brian

stuff

As a pilot/owner (Private ticket) you may
1. Change oil and service fluids on the aircraft.
2. Remove your wheels and grease and pack the bearings.
3. Remove sparkplugs and clean and gap and reinstall them
4. Make small repairs (look in the book for that one)
5. Do things that do not involve complex dis-assy or complex re-assy.

(and tons of other stuff... just gotta look in the regs... it's all in a simple list)

An A&P is the only ticket required to do a Conditional inspection on an experimental... I would STILL hire a knowlegeble IA (inspection auth) to do the Conditional inspection.... I would want a very knowledgeable IA to do mine if I was not familiar with the aircraft. (you buy a 5$ helmet for a 5$ head)
6. GET SOME PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTION in the aircraft.. regardless of time in type of any other aircraft.

If you have any questions please write me.... I will be very happy to discuss your maintenance for free at great length.. to make sure you stay in one piece if nothing else... dont need you riding one in on bad info.

Best
Brian

Last edited:
The trick is going to be finding an A&P that will sign on an experimental. This can be a limiting factor.

One thing not mentioned above is a major modification (changing the Lyc to a P&W PT-6, making it a biplane, etc). You can do the research on this should it be a consideration. This'll get you into having new operating limitations and involvement with the FSDO/MIDO.

But really, minus the condition inspection (A&P only required - no IA), you're not limited to the part 91 allowed items of tires, oil, sparkplugs, etc. It *can* all be done by you.

brianwallis said:
As a pilot/owner (Private ticket) you may
1. Change oil and service fluids on the aircraft.
2. Remove your wheels and grease and pack the bearings.
3. Remove sparkplugs and clean and gap and reinstall them
4. Make small repairs (look in the book for that one)
5. Do things that do not involve complex dis-assy or complex re-assy.

(and tons of other stuff... just gotta look in the regs... it's all in a simple list)

SNIP

This limiting list doesn't apply to experimentals. Technically, as a purchaser only (and not builder) of an experimental, you could go take the wing off and replace it without consulting an A&P. The wisdom of doing so would be in question. Purchasers don't often appreciate how much the builder learns about the aircraft systems of the plane he/she built.

I would recommend getting together with someone who has built and maintained an RV, preferably the same model as yours. As others have said, getting an A&P into the loop is also a must.

yes

True.. as an experimental you can do whatever you want... but if I were you... I'd still use the 43 as guidance.... think of it as a safety net. I should of explained earlier that experimentals are a little different as maintenance goes however if you follow the rules for certified aircraft, you'll be doing yourself a favor. I apologize for not making that clear earlier.

5$ helmet for a 5$ head.... the money you invest by having a professional do the job for you is well spent.. and can often save you money and time from you doing it yourself. I like to say "let the breadmaker make the bread" I'm sure that there are many friendly A&P's or IA's out there that would be glad to help you with whatever you need.... Do it first with a professional and go from there. They know things or consequences of things that you may not.. ie.. control flutter on a flight control surface from a particular mod etc....

Best

Hi Brian,

You are coming at this from A&P/AI=service providers point of view and I approach it from the customers point of view. You may be a great technician but A&Ps are the same as auto mechanics, some are very good and some aren?t good at all and some are even unscrupulous. From my point of view I figure I can screw it up for free rather then pay someone to screw it up for me so I bought a RV-4 so I would have that option where I felt comfortable doing so. Since buying the -4 I have done all maintenance, repairs and modifications myself and have done a very good job without screwing anything up. When it came to the engine O/H and prop I sourced all the parts and removed and broke down the engine, when we had everything back and ready to go I had a friend from Lycoming come and assemble it for me then I put it all back on and got it flying, the prop went out to MT. There are some people that don?t know what end of a wrench to use and they may need lots of help but for those of you who are mechanical do all you can or want to and over time you will know as much about your plane as the builder and you will find its not all that complicated. Keep in mind that the builder of your airplane may well have been doing everything on your airplane as he built it for the first time with no previous experience, same as where you?re at now but at least you have an example in front of you to use as a guide, be careful though as your example may be wrong, also if you think what you did will probably be good enough it wont be, you must know you did it right, no short cuts then it will be good. Not trying to upset any one just a different point of view.

Russ

yup

Quote from Russ
From my point of view I figure I can screw it up for free rather then pay someone to screw it up for me so I bought a RV-4 so I would have that option where I felt comfortable doing so. Since buying the -4 I have done all maintenance, repairs and modifications myself and have done a very good job without screwing anything up. When it came to the engine O/H and prop I sourced all the parts and removed and broke down the engine, when we had everything back and ready to go I had a friend from Lycoming come and assemble it for me then I put it all back on and got it flying, the prop went out to MT. There are some people that don?t know what end of a wrench to use and they may need lots of help but for those of you who are mechanical do all you can or want to and over time you will know as much about your plane as the builder and you will find its not all that complicated. Keep in mind that the builder of your airplane may well have been doing everything on your airplane as he built it for the first time with no previous experience, same as where you?re at now but at least you have an example in front of you to use as a guide, be careful though as your example may be wrong, also if you think what you did will probably be good enough it wont be, you must know you did it right, no short cuts then it will be good. Not trying to upset any one just a different point of view.

Russ

I rest my case.... sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders
wish I had a rv-4.... :D

Last edited by a moderator: