PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Planning a trip from San Diego (KRNM) to Truckee (KTRK). Would like to know if flying up the Owens valley is a good idea, or should I go west of the mountains? Any tips on flying in/around that airspace would be appreciated.

owens valley

Pete- Should not be a problem this time of year. Look at surface winds at Bishop and Mammouth, and winds aloft 12k and 18k both east and west of valley. If all are within reason go for it. I personally have encountered far worse weather both northeast and northwest of Reno than in the Owens Valley, but this may be luck of the draw. Jim

Send me a PM with your phone number. I live around 2508 and can give you some gouge.

Flying the Owens valley

Pete,

Just hug the west side of the valley and you'll stay clear of all the restricted areas.
A friend of mine who was heavily in to sailplanes suggested avoiding the valley when the winds aloft were above 20 knots. I've always done that and have not experienced the rough ride caused by the air tumbling over the mountains.
It's a very scenic flight worth doing.

Not for me!

I live in southern Cal. and have flown north plenty. Every time I use the Owens Valley I get the **** beat out of me. The west side is much better in my opinion. I'm sure there are nice smooth times but I haven't seen 'em.
Just my experience,
Bruce

West side is straightforward

Used to live in Cameron Park (O61) E of Sac and flew to Oceanside a lot. Straightforward. About 20 min farther to Truckee. OCN to SLI to VNY (Colisseum route thru LAX Class B 8500-9500), then GMN EHF and direct. For Truckee, you may want to stay at the west edge of the Sierras until you get near Sacramento so you can go along I-80 to Truckee. Not many places to land engine out in the Sierras.
Generally a smooth ride except windy days over Gorman Pass.

Seb Trost
RV-7A

Most of the time I have been cleared above 6,000 through R-2515.

Here is where you can find some more info:

http://www.edwards.af.mil/r-2508.asp

There are PDF documents on the right hand side of the page listed above.
I suggest reading:
Transient Pilot Brief
Supersonic Corridors
Pilot Guide and Map

As others have said, there are MORE OPTIONS when things go WRONG on the WEST side of the Sierras.

I have gone both ways. Even have even gone GPS direct from South Lake Tahoe to Cable (KCCB). THAT is some ROUGH terrain and an engine failure would be FATAL. (right over the mountains)

There are options if things go wrong in the Owens Valley but not as many as the west side. I have had both smooth and rough rides in the Owens Valley. Read all the other posts and make up your own mind. I would go that way if winds are not forecast to be high or ride to be rough.

Here is what it looks like looking toward Mamoth Mt Ski Area.
On%20the%20way%20home.%20%20Looking%20toward%20Mamoth%20Mt%20ski%20area%202.JPG

Lone Pine
Lone%20Pine%20%28O26%29.jpg

Bishop
Bishop%2C%20CA%20%28BIH%29.jpg

Edward's Air Force Base from 11,500
EDW%20from%2011%2C500.jpg

All photos were taken on a Southbound trip.

Last edited:
Follow Highway 395...

...and you will stay close to a lot of airports up the Owens Valley and into the Carson Valley.

Plan on landing at Truckee before noon and you should miss most of the thermal activity. The ride up the Owens Valley has beautiful mountain scenery, especially as you go over Lone Pine right alongside Mt. Whitney.

I've flown this route many times in a sailplane, and when I flew to the Reno Air Races a few years ago, my wife insisted we take the Owens Valley/395 route - all of the previous times she had seen it was on the ground pulling a trailer...:)
We did the entire route to Minden at below O2 levels.

Past sailplane height records in wave lift have been claimed in the Owens Valley, so the previous cautions about high winds aloft - especially from the West - are definitely valid. Later in the afternoons, the White Mountains East of Bishop are considered some of the best thermal generators in the US, so fly early.

kmhv kiyk o26 kbih mmh o24 o57 nv72 mev

Pasted into www.skyvector.com will give you a rough idea - clear of the "R" areas, but in a lot of MOAs.

I've also flown down the West side of the Sierras many times, but the scenery is much more boring....:)

Last edited:
I agree with everything Gil said. The most important thing to do is to check winds aloft over the main crest of the Sierra. Get any current pireps over the main crest.

I live at Pine Mountain Lake (E45) and have flown to Bishop (BIH) over Yosemite or Mamoth Lakes at least a hundred times in my old Cessna 170.

One morning leaving Bishop at 6 AM I flew into a clear rotor at 13,500' directly over Mammoth airport. Mother nature almost rolled the airplane out from under me. That was the worst beating I've ever flown through. I turned west at Mammoth Mountain and as soon as I passed the main crest the air smoothed out into a stiff 50 knot headwind.

If the winds are from the west and over 25 knots, fly the central valley to Sacramento and follow I 80 over Donner Summit to Truckee. Not as scenic, but much smoother.

When I took the Colorado mountain flying course they suggested caution (or not going) when the winds from the west at ridge altitude was above 30 knots.

I use 25 knots as a cut-off point. Sounds like similar warnings for your mountains.

The NWS gives....

I agree with everything Gil said. The most important thing to do is to check winds aloft over the main crest of the Sierra. Get any current pireps over the main crest.
If the winds are from the west and over 25 knots, fly the central valley to Sacramento and follow I 80 over Donner Summit to Truckee. Not as scenic, but much smoother.

...the mountain top winds in the Northern area of your flight at Slide Mountain (Mt. Rose, near Truckee) and other locations --

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/rev/remotedata/slide.php

Presently Westerly and 41 mph gusting to 51 mph....:)

The White Mountain selection on the NWS link is for the summit on the ridges East of Bishop - that should be indicative of the Owens Valley winds.