Nick

Well Known Member
I'm contemplating putting a single NACA intake right behind the center post on the "Lid" and feeding it into either the AA overhead, or building up a custom one. Has anyone else considered something similar?

That subject has come up. My solutions at this point are a closable NACA vent, and a water trap / drain on the low spot of the overhead. I guess what I should do for now is build up the NACA vent and see if I can get it to seal tight enough.

OK...I'll bite....WHY?? I have more air coming in the side vents of my 10 than you can shake a stick at. Air coming in the top will only mess my passengers hair :D .

Plus...help me out here....isn't the top of the plane a low pressure area? Ya' think you'll get much air flow there?

Ok here's the deal....

The build partner wants an overhead vent system installed for future AC install. My thought is, with the overhead in... why not make it functional before the Air Conditioner is in. Who knows it may work well enough that an AC unit isn't needed.... :confused:

More air than you can shake a stick at... That's good news! One of the biggest problems here is that neither he or I have flown the 10 yet. I really don't know if there is an air 'problem'. Maybe I'm trying to fix something that isn't broke!

And the final point... why a naca vent on top? Because I think the snorkal scoop in front of the VS looks dorky. Just my opinion... My thinking here is that far enough forward on the lid and I'll avoid the high pressure area. Again, not haveing flow the airplane and not having any data to work from I may be shooting myself in the foot.

The whole reason I started the thread was to get a reality check. Looks like its working! :D

Future A/C

I also installed the overhead plenum in the event I want to upgrade / add an A/C system in the future, I wasn't thrilled about the snorkel either, but Tony Sustare sent me some photos of how another builder (can't remember name) tackled this. It made the install much easier. Basically it involves 2 NACA scoops on each side aft of the baggage bulkhead w/ Scat tubes routed to the overhead thru 2 ducts on the bulkhead top. Here's a llink to some photos of how it looks. http://deemsrv10.com/album/Sec 43 Cabin Cover/slides/DSC04399.html
The original builder that did this reported that he gets plenty of air even on the ground during taxi. I ended up closing off the lower rear vents.

Deems,

I have the same OH console and also got the pictures from Tony. While I haven't decided on getting air in for the console, I am a bit concerned about the fact that the NACA vents are inline and forward of the static ports. I've also considered just installing a blower to circulate cabin air via the OH console and use the existing vents for fresh air.

I won't be flying until this fall so there's still time to settle on something...

Bob #40105

Static port convern

Bob, what's the concern with the static ports. Do the NACA vents disturb the air outside of the vent? I'm admittedly naive on exactly how they work. They're 3 1/2 ft forward of the static ports on my plane.

Deems,

Real answer is that I just don't know. What I do know is that a few thousanths of a inch on the height of the static port makes a difference (Cleveland ports need to be .010" proud of the surface) otherwise you'll get inaccurate AS and alt readings. If they are that sensitive it isn't much of a stretch to think that putting something directly in line with them that disturbs airflow might also affect readings. Not sure who actually has this setup and is flying but it would be nice to get a definitive answer.

Bob

Let's find out

It shouldn't be too hard to find out. I'll call Tony, or Bill DeRouchey, as the builder that did this has his EFIS installed.

Have you considered------------

One more thing to think about here,------------

Depending on the size and location of the cutout in the cabin top, what are you doing to the structural integrity of the unit?????

This is right where the support bar attaches, and between where the front door hinges are.

Mike

Mike S said:
One more thing to think about here,------------

Depending on the size and location of the cutout in the cabin top, what are you doing to the structural integrity of the unit?????

This is right where the support bar attaches, and between where the front door hinges are.

Mike

That was my main concern. At this point I leaning towards dropping the whole thing. I think Deams has a better idea and will probably go that route.

I still think that a single NACA vent on top would just look totally sexy, but I would like this airplane to fly in 08' and if I start spending the time and effort designing things then it will never get done!

RE: FWIW static port question

I got a reply back from Bill DeRouchey who supplied the EFIS to the builder that originally put the NACA vents in . Bill replied that he did the airspeed calibration as a part of the installation of the air data computer, and that they believe that there is no noticable difference in airspeed readings. this was also confirmed by formation flying and comparison of airspeeds between two RV-10's