WISC

Well Known Member
VAF,
I am hoping someone can help me gauge the decrease or possibly no decrease in value of an engine.
I0-360 engine was new. Around 10 hours the plane flipped over and the prop obviously had a sudden stop. The crank was bent. The crank and all other parts replaced. This was done by an A&P not a shop. The engine has been operating for 200+ hours over the past few years w/o issue.

Concerns about the engine?
How much has value decreased?
Can't call it new anymore.

Thanks

I'm not an A&P, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I have spent a lot of time on the used aircraft market. :)

All else being equal, the engine would be somewhat less attractive to me than if it didn't have the damage, obviously. The damage/repair introduce the additional risk that the repair was bad, used substandard parts, etc. But with 200+ hours since, I don't think it's a material value hit (IF the paperwork and shop reputation are good).

200 fairly recent trouble-free hours are actually a very powerful selling point, for an engine and an airframe. I was amazed how many for-sale RVs had sat for years (and I mean YEARS) with minimal or zero usage. That's a big value hit, at least for me.

VAF,
I am hoping someone can help me gauge the decrease or possibly no decrease in value of an engine.
I0-360 engine was new. Around 10 hours the plane flipped over and the prop obviously had a sudden stop. The crank was bent. The crank and all other parts replaced. This was done by an A&P not a shop. The engine has been operating for 200+ hours over the past few years w/o issue.

Concerns about the engine?
How much has value decreased?
Can't call it new anymore.

Thanks