I read somewhere that Hartzell recommends overhauling their props at some time limit OR every five years of service. I can't find that ANYWHERE, including the manual that came with my prop (72" cs factory new from Van's). I'm coming up on five years, but only 200 hours (always hangared, paved strips, and no leaks/cracks). Any ideas?

I know of a 13 year old Hartzell, that's been only used in the last nine months; and now has 81 hours on it. The rubber caps on the outside are still looking new, and it's been re-greased once. It still functions perfectly...... as of two days ago, when I last flew it. :)

L.Adamson

Inner seals/corrosion

I spoke to a Hartzell rep a few years back at OshKosh, and brought up this very topic. If memory serves me correctly, I believe the concern was corrosion and/or or seals on the inner mechanisms. Of course, there would be many samples of props that have gone beyond this time limit with no adverse circumstances, but the manufacturer's recommendation is either a time limit or an hour limit. I no longer have documentation that states this, but this was the case on the prop a previous airplane I owned.

D. Dalton

I read somewhere that Hartzell recommends overhauling their props at some time limit OR every five years of service. I can't find that ANYWHERE, including the manual that came with my prop (72" cs factory new from Van's). I'm coming up on five years, but only 200 hours (always hangared, paved strips, and no leaks/cracks). Any ideas?

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, my RV is in Australia and I am quite happy to follow the official CASA (equivalent to your FAA) recommendation of 2,000 hrs or 10 years for most Hartzell installations in certified aircraft. See page 5 of:
http://www.casa.gov.au/airworth/airwd/ADfiles/equip/prop/PROP-001.pdf

Fin 9A

E. Compliance

WARNING: TO MAINTAIN THE FLIGHT SAFETY OF PROPELLERS AND
PROPELLER CONTROL SYSTEMS, IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT
THEY BE OVERHAULED AT THE INTERVALS SPECIFIED IN THIS
SERVICE LETTER AND THAT THE OVERHAULS BE PROPERLY
PERFORMED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE MANUFACTURER'S
SERVICE DOCUMENTS. SERVICE EXPERIENCE HAS SHOWN
THAT PROPELLERS THAT ARE NEGLECTED, NOT OVERHAULED
OR OVERHAULED IMPROPERLY CAN RESULT IN A COMPONENT
FAILURE THAT COULD RESULT IN DEATH, SERIOUS BODILY
INJURY, AND/OR SUBSTANTIAL PROPERTY DAMAGE.

(1) Hartzell propellers installed on reciprocating engines must be overhauled at the
intervals specified in Section 3, Overhaul Periods, Paragraph B.

Acrobatic (aerobatic) Installations as defined in Note 3
Manufactured or overhauled before October 1991 - Note 1 1000/60
Manufactured or overhauled after October 1991 - Note 1 1000/72

All other 2 Bladed propellers manufactured before 1997
as defined in Note 4 - See Figure 4
Manufactured or overhauled before October 1991 - Note 1 2000/60
Manufactured or overhauled after October 1991 - Note 1 2000/72
All other 2 Bladed propellers manufactured after April 1997
as defined in Note 4 - See Figure 4 2400/72

NOTE 3: Acrobatic (aerobatic) aircraft are defined as certificated acrobatic category
aircraft or other aircraft routinely exposed to maneuvers beyond those
specified for utility category aircraft as defined in 14 CFR 23.3. Once a
propeller is used on an aerobatic aircraft, the specified overhaul times for
an aerobatic propeller are to be maintained until overhaul is performed,
even if the propeller is later installed on a non-aerobatic aircraft.

NOTE 4: Two blade, aluminum hub propellers or two blade aluminum hubs on
reciprocating engines manufactured after April 1997 use an improved
hub "fillet radius" and will be identified with a suffix letter "B" in the serial
number. Refer to Figure 4.

Last edited: