rjcthree

Well Known Member
All,

I've bought a core, and plan to teardown and send out the appropriate parts for the customary inspection/rework/tagging.

What I need to find is the complete list of reference materials required to do the job right. Having built successful automotive engines before, and from the posts I've read, I'm pretty sure I can tackle this one, but still expect to have an A&P look over my shoulder during the build.

From what I've gathered, the following is required:

The current Lyc OH manual, in this case, for the -76 series.
The Lycoming parts catalog for the same.
The Sacr. Sky Ranch Engineering manual
The Mattituck engine build DVD- which isn't for my engine, but should be 80% identical.
Maybe the Sacr. Sky Ranch Mechanics toolbox software.

Hint: if anybody has any of this stuff they are willing to part with . . . I'm interested.

I'd like to have the reference materials before I start to tear down, partly to confirm some things myself, but also to look for the trouble spots.

Special tools are limited, specifically to cylinder base nut wrenches, good torque wrenches, safety wire & tool, and normal tool box stuff.

Materials like sealants and whatnot, I'm not worried about right now - I'm a year, maybe two, from assembly. I think that it's better to have the components, inspected, packed and sealed, in storage, than a complete engine, runout or new. It's also a lot easier to store parts in the house than an engine!

What else can you think of? Thanks,

Rick 90432 wings

Silence . . .

Since nobody commented, I went and dove deeper, invested a couple of hours, and came up with the following:

Lycoming CD: All manuals(OH, Op, breakin), parts lists, ADs and SBs, price lists, etc. - 6500 pages of office reading - $349

Scr. Sky Ranch Eng manual $30
Scr. Sky Ranch engineering CD $20
Mattituck engine assy DVD $39

That seems to cover the waterfront.

Note that this may or may not cover accys.

Rick 90432

Out-of-date version - Wanted

rjcthree said:
Lycoming CD: All manuals(OH, Op, breakin), parts lists, ADs and SBs, price lists, etc. - 6500 pages of office reading - $349

Anyone got an out-of-date one of these CDs they want to sell?

gil in Tucson

I used the Mattituck DVD, the Lycoming OH manual, watched them (helped) put one together at the Mattituck display in OSH, and got a lot of help from the folks on the forums. Thanks again everyone :)

Finally started it (O-360 A1D) last week after waiting for two years, fired on the second blade, ran well, sounded GREAT :D

Take LOTS of pictures during the teardown for orientation of parts, gear meshing, connecting rod nut orientation, etc.

I may have some left over silk thread (like a whole spool minus about 10 feet!) when you need it.

2 years?

Dave, you built a new engine, then it sat for 2 years? How did you preserve it? What was your pre-start process (prelube? relube?) THanks, Rick 90432

rjcthree said:
Dave, you built a new engine, then it sat for 2 years? How did you preserve it? What was your pre-start process (prelube? relube?) THanks, Rick 90432
It was actually an overhaul, but I did put in a new crank and cylinders. Pretty much meets original specs!

I lubed the heck out of everything with a mixture of oil and STP, plugged all the holes, and DIDN't touch the crank or prop to keep it as tightly closed as possible. I really expected it not to sit that long, but well, things happen, and you know..... :D

I pre-heated the engine with a quartz lamp and got it to nominally 70F.

I pre-oiled the system by disconnecting an oil line at the cooler, spun the engine until it produced oil at the line. Connected it back up, then spun it for another 30 - 60 seconds.

I have a solenoid primer setup on #'s 1 and 3, bled the lines until I showed fuel, then gave it a 5 second shot for priming.

So far so good, except for a quirky mag issue that may really be an ignition switch issue.

Getting REALLY close :D

CD arrived

Ok, the April Lycoming documentation CD arrived. So far, I've got the Sac Sky Ranch Eng manual (Not sure what's the point - great info, but little of operational value at this stage) the SSR mechanics CD (cute, but full of handbook stuff), the Mattituck 320 DVD(very good even though it's not for my engine) and the Lyc CD.

Yet to get are the accy manuals (Bx mags, carb)

What I don't seem to have is a play by play how to build guide - Chilton's for Lycomings, so to speak. Any ideas? EDIT- I FOUND IT, it was part of a 2 part pdf.

NEW QUESTION: Is this supposed to have a supersession log? I have parts in the parts list that don't show in the pricing - first one is oil pump impellers & oil pump body. No reference to a service kit than has the parts . ..

Rick 90432

Last edited:
I,ve been looking for that link for some time, had it then lost it.
Sorry I cant give any input for the rebuild, but im learning here ;)

thanks Gil

Log??

rjcthree said:
NEW QUESTION: Is this supposed to have a supersession log? I have parts in the parts list that don't show in the pricing - first one is oil pump impellers & oil pump body. No reference to a service kit than has the parts . ..

Rick 90432

Rick... the official Lycoming Parts manual has a section in the back that cross-references obsolete parts numbers to new part numbers.

Is this what you are referring to as a "supersession log"?

gil in Tucson

obs parts

EDIT: Ok, I found it. The menu-driven pdf 'guide' tool that is used/self installs with the CD does not point you to this file. By searching the directory structure , I found SSB499B, which is the 183 page 'numerical parts history' document. Searching this should be fun!

Disregard: Gil, yes, that is what I am looking for. I've spent an hour searching the CD, I've printed the OH manual, full parts pricing (72 pages) and don't see it. I would swear I have seen it and went past it - but I cannot find it. If it matters, I'm a 320 - 76 series.

Any ideas?

Rick 90432

Last edited: