cnpeters

Well Known Member
I am thinking of either aluminum or fiberglass side skirt extensions on my tip up canopy that will overhang the fuse side a little (eg 1/2") like some have done. One issue I see is paint rubbing. Do folks leave the overlap area unpainted? Put on a very thin rub strip? Any ideas appreciated.

I have a fiberglass overhang and when I layed it up, I put several layers of tape on the fuse to provide a gap between the overhang and the fuse.

I also installed the guides on the rollbar that help guide the latch fingers on the way down. This minimizes the twistability of the canopy.

2icbeic.jpg

I have had absolutely no issues with paint scratching on the side of the fuse. At least not from the overhang. I have scratched it with my feet however.

Last edited:
If you want to avoid the time and anguish of the overlapping sides, an option is go with the standard Vans flush mount sides, and use one of the PURRfect McMaster & Carr weatherstrips along the canopy bottom rails. M&C has one particular w'strip that looks like it was made for RV canopies. It seals the bottom of the tip-up like a refrigerator door.:D

Part number?

Hello Thierry

Do you have a part number of this McMastercarr seal?

They have a lot of seals! Any input would help, thanks.

Dominik

If you want to avoid the time and anguish of the overlapping sides, an option is go with the standard Vans flush mount sides, and use one of the PURRfect McMaster & Carr weatherstrips along the canopy bottom rails. M&C has one particular w'strip that looks like it was made for RV canopies. It seals the bottom of the tip-up like a refrigerator door.:D

Yes I use one of those as well. Works better than great for a seal but it does nothing for the ugly gap that is left behind when the canopy is closed.

I can't find my records on that M-C part number, but looking at their website just now, it appears to be #1020A111. It's the style that clamps over the edge of the canopy bottom rail and has a round "bulb" type w'strip on the bottom. Using their w'strip intended to clamp on 1/16" thickness material worked perfectly, and the 3/8" thick bulb w'strip crushes just right under the canopy rail.

Thanks guys. Brantel - yes, long sold on the guide block mod and will encorporate. Terry - did you mean part number 1120A111 instead of 1020A111 as you wrote? Could not find the latter.
What I may do is finish the latch assembly, try the seal, and then see how the canopy side skirt to fuse gap looks before deciding whether to add a little glass for a more finished fit. As with many builders, the gap can leave a little to be desired, especially up front on the sloped portion.
Thanks,
Carl

Carl,

Come up to BMI for the Saturday breakfast and I'll show you what my tipper looks like. :D I'm quite pleased with it, all in all.