pierre smith

Well Known Member
Years ago, we overflew Cuba on KLM, a Dutch airline, to Aruba and Bonaire for a scuba-diving trip. At that time, I recall, U.S. Airlines were barred from overflight.

Can a civilian RV overfly Cuba on the way to Jamaica for fuel? Then on to Colombia and down to Chile. Where do you find the necessary information regarding overflight of countries like Nicaragua, if Cuban overflight is barred?

Thanks,

Pierre,
Paul Rosales posted about a trip to the Caymans and how they were allowed to overfly Cuba using an IFR flight plan. IIRC.

My 170 has an entry in the logs indicating it flew into Havana in 1955. The rules have changed since then...

See post #7. Very easy. The fee to join DID pay for one overflight permit.

I did it going to the Caymans. I did not check to see if a previous post discussed all the overflight corridors.

If you know someone with current Jepp manuals for Carribbean it be in front under entery requirements along with all the contact to get permits etc.
DougG

Unless you contact Cuba directly and apply for he overflight permit..

This is the easiest and cheapest handler I have found and used.

http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com/Cuban%20Overflight%20Permits.htm

James is absolutely correct: Jim Parker at Caribbean Flying Adventures makes it easy with his overflight permit. He's a person, not a book and is very accessible.

The Cuban-approved routing out of Key West is direct TADPO, airway G448, direct UVA (VOR) direct UCL (VOR).

Here's a copy of my 2005 Cuban Overflight Form from our Cayman Islands 2005 trip....and I'm already planning our return to the Cayman Islands and Belize in 2015 :D Rosie

Last edited:
Tho others covered it well. I'll just add that there is an overflight permit number that will be issued to you. Keep this with you for the flight. I've been told that they COULD ask for this while enroute. I've never been asked for it though.

From Rosie: Good point (thanks)! Once approved, the form is returned to you with a number, and the number is filed in the remarks section of the flight plan. We've never been asked either :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Saint gave a presentation a couple years ago at OSH about flying his RV-10 from Florida to South America. If I recall correctly, he over flew Cuba. It was a pretty interesting presentation.

Plenty of fuel.

Yeah, and the beauty of a trip like this to either the Cayman's, Cozumel or Colombia/Chile, is that they can be flown with standard RV tanks with a reserve.

Best,

Watch out for the balloon........

Right next to MTH NDB.

Goes really high !!!!!!

We go to Cuba lots.....

Varadero, Cayo Coco, Holguin,

They are so relaxed now. Don't even do the 10 before call, Miami just phone them and say we are coming.

Same coming out northbound towards the Bahamas.

Common sense at last :D

I am usually at FL400 inbound and FL370 outbound though....:D

And when you don't file.......

2psehqu.jpg

In the late 70's, a buddy of mine decided to take some friends to the Cayman Islands. Not being one to follow proceedures (understandably after spending 6.5 years as a guest in the Hanoi Hilton), they set out in a Navajo across Cuba without filing a flight plan. This picture was taken as a result. What you don't see is the second Mig at the Navajo's six. After checking out the intruder, the Mig pilot gave the international sign of good will with his middle finger and he and his pal peeled off for home. I've had this picture on my wall (now in the hangar) for the past 30+ years.

Last edited:
Steve Saint gave a presentation a couple years ago at OSH about flying his RV-10 from Florida to South America. If I recall correctly, he over flew Cuba. It was a pretty interesting presentation.

We flew from Key West to Cozumel, just off the coast of Cuba. The only country that requires permission for that route, I think, is Columbia. I don't think we got that either, but I'm going to when I ferry a 182 down there in the next couple of months.

We did talk to Cuba, but didn't overfly.