Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkie

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I'm just getting started and was wondering if it possible to over dimple using the DRDT-2 on the skins? My rivets are flush, but for whatever reason, I don't think it looks very clean.

Nope, can't over-dimple.

Are you sure you've got the DRDT adjusted correctly? I can't remember the exact verbiage, but the dies need to make contact, then the handles moves a some more.

Are you getting the 'witness' mark around the outer edge of the die? You should be.

-Jim

Yes.. I am getting the little circle mark around the dimple, but I expected it to look more crisp than it does.

I'd say the DRDT is adjusted correctly then.

If you're comparing it to other dimples, then at this point, it's probably a variation in the different manufacturers of the dies. They are not all created the same.

How does the rivet sit in? If it's flush, paint will cover it.

If you're polishing, then you might want to get different dies.

Maybe a picture could illustrate to the smarter than I am guys.

Best,

-Jim

I'm not very far in, but 3/4 turn past contact of the dies seems to work well for me. And the Cleveland dies seem to be regarded as excellent -- but I have nothing for comparison.

I have a c-frame too... At some point I was going to do a comparison test, and see how they looked side by side.

more likely to under dimple than over...

Dimples created with a squeeze method will not be as crisp and ones from a mechanical hammer but the DRDT sure is useful and I used one as well. You can compare dimples from a rivet gun (with appropriate sets) or hammer blow to the ones you are making with the DRDT for a good reference. To improve on the flushness from the DRDT dimples make sure that you are really getting good flex in the steel frame arm when you make the dimple, also some have chosen to double strike the dimple with the DRDT and have reported good success... if the arm is adjusted correctly I found the dimples to be quite satisfactory but no matter what, you will get a crisper edge and flatter face with a mechanical blow method.

Tom,
The biggest risk from the DRDT-2 tool is UNDER dimpling. Your picture isn't real crisp, but if I'm seeing shallow depressions around each rivet, it's definitely under-dimpled. They really show up if the light is reflecting just right. I had this same problem early on with mine. My tech counselor at the time showed me his C-frame and how he used it, whacking firmly twice on each dimple, with absolutely perfect results. I heard the famous quote "you gotta beat that aluminum into submission". I realized I was being too timid when it came to dimpling.

I was later able to duplicate his nice dimples on my DRDT-2 by adjusting the ram downward and locking it in a position so that the dies make contact with each other about 2/3 of the way through the handle stroke. This is with NO aircraft parts in there; just the dies. When I'm dimpling, I pull the handle down once to form the dimple, and then I slam it down hard a second time on each one to really "coin" the dimple. The force is strong enough that you can actually see the big metal beams on the tool separate and deform slightly with each one. Try it on some scrap. You should see a big difference. I have more discussion and pictures on my web site here:

Dimpling with the DRDT-2

I also agree with a previous post about quality dimple dies. I spent the money on good spring-back dimple dies. It's worth it. Good luck as you progress!

Under dimpled

I agree - they look under dimpled... I don't know if you can adjust that with the R2D2 dimpler. My understanding is it's one of the shortcomings of the DRDT device

Thanks guys! Bruce, I tried your method and that seemed to make the dimples appear 100% nicer! I love this support group! What are the advantages of the springback dies?

Last edited:
I shall be giving this method a try Bruce. Thanks. Good call.

Tom,
The biggest risk from the DRDT-2 tool is UNDER dimpling. Your picture isn't real crisp, but if I'm seeing shallow depressions around each rivet, it's definitely under-dimpled. They really show up if the light is reflecting just right. I had this same problem early on with mine. My tech counselor at the time showed me his C-frame and how he used it, whacking firmly twice on each dimple, with absolutely perfect results. I heard the famous quote "you gotta beat that aluminum into submission". I realized I was being too timid when it came to dimpling.

I was later able to duplicate his nice dimples on my DRDT-2 by adjusting the ram downward and locking it in a position so that the dies make contact with each other about 2/3 of the way through the handle stroke. This is with NO aircraft parts in there; just the dies. When I'm dimpling, I pull the handle down once to form the dimple, and then I slam it down hard a second time on each one to really "coin" the dimple. The force is strong enough that you can actually see the big metal beams on the tool separate and deform slightly with each one. Try it on some scrap. You should see a big difference. I have more discussion and pictures on my web site here:

Dimpling with the DRDT-2

I also agree with a previous post about quality dimple dies. I spent the money on good spring-back dimple dies. It's worth it. Good luck as you progress!

DRDT-2 Setup

Gents,

As the designer and manufacturer of the DRDT-2 I needed to chime in on this discussion.

You can not over dimple with the DRDT-2. However if you do not set it up correctly for the thickness of material you can under dimple. It is easy to set up the tool correctly. A good starting point in with the lever in down position turn the ram until the faces of the die touch. Then turn the ram another 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Dimple of few holes and inspect. If I need a little more pressure, turn the ram a bit more, it is that simple. I personally never have to "double pump" as some have mentioned.

Some dimple dies are better then others and produce a "sharper dimple". Spring back dies are the best (don't know if you can purchase the old style any more).

You can "over dimple" with a standard c-frame. By over dimple in this case I mean you can actually compress (thin out) the material where the dimple die faces touch the aluminum if you hit it too hard.

Email me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul

I was getting ready to chime in myself after reading some of the things on this thread. The drdt-2 is one of the best tools I have used on my -8. When set up properly it works great! Not to brag but I think a person could not get a better dimple that what it has produced for my airplane. happy building

bird

Status
Not open for further replies.