Skyhawk

Hi!
I?m a bit concerned over some of my rivetholes in HS603PP beeing oval after I match drilled them with HS609.
I have searched some documentation but i cant find any tolerance limits about that.
How important is this? Is the rivet expanding sufficient anyway? If not, I supose next size rivet is the way to go.

Dissapointed at my self beeing to eager at this stage... :(

Last edited:
Picture would be good...

I'm thinking a picture of the holes sent to Van's would be the quickest answer to your question. I experienced this same issue once and had a response the next day.

Definitely try to nail down what caused the holes to be oval though.

Good Luck

Well does it look like a snow man without the head? Or a pair of binoculars? If so your rivet will not fill this, however be sure that the next size rivet will not exceed your edge distance requirements. Other than that dont beat yourself up too much, these things that consume you at night when you go to bed seem to fade away after awhile and trust me you will do worse somewhere along this journey.

Happy building.:)

Hehe, you can see the ovalness but not more than so.
Thanks for the answers, i continue the work then.
I have another issue now. I didnt check the the straightness of the rear and front bar before matchdrilling. I just did it per the instructions whitout involving all braincells. Now if I want the two halves straight the rivet holes gets a bit missaligned...

Skyhawk said:
Hehe, you can see the ovalness but not more than so.
Thanks for the answers, i continue the work then.
I have another issue now. I didnt check the the straightness of the rear and front bar before matchdrilling. I just did it per the instructions whitout involving all braincells. Now if I want the two halves straight the rivet holes gets a bit missaligned...
Straight compared to where? I quess if you did clecoed all the holes and then drilled them one by one, there is not much adjusting available... clecos hold it pretty well in place as holes are a bit too small.

Oval Holes

The prevention of Oval holes in thin sheet while countersinking is to back the hole with scrap aluminum so the countersink cutter will always have the pilot bearing on solid material during the cutting process. I have also used steel and I have heard of wood as a bearing surface but it should be clamped or clecoed in place to keep the pilot steady. If holes are already oval, or defective for any other reason, and you feel the rivet will not fill the hole I just drill another hole between the adjacient rivet and the concerned hole, which is allowed since the rivet pattern is a "Minimum" pattern & additional rivets only make the overall lap stronger provided you have minimum spacing, and set another rivet. The downside is you may have an extra rivet or line of rivets showing but only a very knowledgeable fellow RV builder will know IF that person can even pick it out of the thousands of rivets in a finished RV. In other words, engineering wise you are covered and cosmetically you are "almost" covered.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD Flying
RV4 N149KC Flying
RV8 Wing
Northfield, MN