PNOTO

I'm New Here
I?ve been parking my RV9A inside for almost 4 years, now it is time to go outside; What should I must avoid ? What should I must do ? I should I must protect ? ........ tips, products to use and more things !
Can you help me w/ your experience ?
Best Regards from Brasil.
Paulo

You must avoid... the outside. :rolleyes:

No real advice here but wondering why you have to go outside. Most vehicles of lesser value and sensitivity to outdoor storage are parked indoors.

Bevan

Paulo,
I am outside on my second year. Unpainted and not primed. You will get used to it. A lot of good tips are here http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=116702&highlight=science+parking&page=3 and I will add more info to it later. One advice - fly as often as you can that's the best remedy against corrosion, birds and insect infestation. Keep your controls locked and your tie downs tight. Get chains instead of ropes. At least you don't have to deal with this :D

climate????

San Paulo sounds a bit like Vancouver BC, or Seattle, that kind of mild, wet thing.

I have my Rv outside most of the time, in the drier but colder interior, and would suggest either FULL covers, to keep 'everything' out, or minimal covers, and let the wind blow thru, to reduce the humidity inside the structure, where there is bound to be condensation.

As others have observed, frequent flying, washing, wax etc. are all good preventatives. I'm surprised at how much dust and other fines get into the nooks and crannies, where moisture or oil mist makes them adhere to things like glue!
This year;
flying - 8 hours
mowing, weeding, shovelling snow - 16 hours
washing, cleaning, updating paperwork, subscriptions, tiny snags - 24 hrs.

are you SURE you can't find a hangar to share????? :rolleyes:

There's an RV-4 parked on the ramp at Talkeetna, AK. At least it was parked there when I was there last year. One of the locals said the owner/builder had been parking it outside for awhile. The only visible problems I saw was the steel hardware on the tailwheel had started to rust.

We parked our helicopters outside all the time. They were kept very clean and corrosion free by keeping the hardware covered with corrosion preventative, and wiping the skin down with waterless cleaner frequently. They survived just fine on the flight-deck of a ship during ocean crossings with heavy seas and high winds with just a little more work than normal (of course, we had a crew working almost around the clock maintaining those birds).

My biggest worry about parking outside would be protecting the avionics from theft and the interior from sun-fading. Therefore, I'd buy the biggest pain in the butt canopy cover and use it religiously. And, if possible remove the most expensive gadgets and take them home with me when not flying.

Double cover

I have a Bruce canopy cover on mine. I also carry a small plastic tarp (5x9 I think) which I put over the Bruce cover. This keeps the cockpit dry. You can fit the tarp to the plane by using small rope to take up slack between the grommets on the sides. Also, see my current post about keeping starlings off the tail. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=130171

John

Last edited by a moderator: